Author Topic: Ozawa M7 with Boston...blew me away.  (Read 8018 times)

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
Ozawa M7 with Boston...blew me away.
« on: January 05, 2007, 01:54:21 AM »

I found this used last week and finally got around to it last night. What can I say, I loved it.  The tenor horn was simply gorgeous...bless you Norman Bolter.   The bass trombonist of the BSO (Douglas Yeo, still there?) once said Bolter's playing "MADE" the 1st movement, and "Norman's energy actually drove Seiji"---

I remembered this quote when I found this set at the used store, and man, I'm glad I took a chance with it.  The Finale is well played too. 

Sorry I couldn't give a more detailed review here...(but I'm at work).

« Last Edit: January 05, 2007, 02:00:14 AM by Leo K »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Ozawa M7 with Boston...blew me away.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2007, 08:22:00 AM »
The Mahler 3rd with Ozawa/Norman/BSO is really terrific too - surprisingly good. Ozawa conducts the 7th very similar to how Bernstein did - even the timings are near identical. As you discovered, the BSO puts out a more beautiful sound than the N.Y. Phil., who obviously play Mahler in a highly idiomatic fashion. My only minor complain with the Ozawa, is that there simply isn't enough of the cowbells and deep bells at the finale's final peroration. In other words, the very end. But I also agree that the "Kindertotenlieder" is an excellent performance. In fact, I really feel that the entire Ozawa cycle is better than most people suspect or realize. I very much like his Saito Kinen Orchestra remake of the "Resurrection", as well as his earlier DG recording of the first symphony, which includes "Blumine" in its original second movement position.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 05:12:33 PM »
My only minor complain with the Ozawa, is that there simply isn't enough of the cowbells and deep bells at the finale's final peroration. Barry

It's funny, that was my exact thought when I read the thread title.  And since you also mention his M3, I can sum up both of them by saying that they are excellent performances, marred by a problem at the symphonies' end.  In the case of the M3, Ozawa hits the accelerator at the very end of the symphony (ala Barbirroli, Rattle).  It detracts from my overall enjoyment, but it is still a superb M3 (and M7).  In fact, the whole cycle is quite worthwhile, if not quite a top pick. 

I also put his SKO M9 as a first tier favorite.  I may prefer the sound of the BSO over the SKO, but find Ozawa's interpretation better with the SKO (especially the bite of the R-B). 
Scott

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 08:16:06 PM »
Yeah, I hear ya regarding the bells...it's the only complaint I have...the rest is so good though it's not a problem.  And ditto regarding the Kindentotenlieder performance...I actually had tears afterwards.  Powerful stuff, and bravo Jesse!

Thanks for the heads up regarding Ozawa's M3.  Know I'll know to try the rest of his cycle.

I should note I also recently got his M2 with Boston, but I haven't heard it yet.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2007, 09:56:35 PM »
The Boston M2 is pretty good - better than the tepid press it received. I have only one major complaint, and you'll stumble upon it, I think.  I think the Saito Kinen one (Sony) is a bit better.

Barry

Offline sperlsco

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 10:34:19 PM »
And ditto regarding the Kindentotenlieder performance...I actually had tears afterwards. 

Kindertotenlieder -- I still have never listened to any performance of it...I'm superstitious.  Perhaps when my children turn 18.   
Scott

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2007, 06:16:39 PM »
I think Ozawa's era was often under-appreciated at BSO. That comment is based on more than just their recordings of Mahler. I've got a video of the Ozawa/BSO playing the Brahms First Symphony on tour in Japan, and it is a splendid performance, building to one of the most exciting climaxes I've ever heard for that work.

"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2007, 06:28:10 PM »
In fact, Ozawa recorded the Brahms symphonies with the Saito Kinen Orchestra on Philips, and they were really very, very good.

Barry

Offline Amphissa

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2007, 09:04:14 PM »
In fact, Ozawa recorded the Brahms symphonies with the Saito Kinen Orchestra on Philips, and they were really very, very good.

Barry

I haven't heard those performances, and should probably pick them up sometime. All I've heard of his Brahms is with BSO, and this video was a concert when they were on tour. The opening work of the performance is Also Spack Zarathustra. I don't know if it was ever released on CD or not. Seems likely that it was. But I enjoy watching the performance on video.
"Life without music is a mistake." Nietzsche

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38:33 PM »
Yes, that was issued by Sony Classical. I also agree that the Ozawa period in Boston is generally under-appreciated. I guess one problem was that he was simply there too long. But he made a lot of good recordings of French repertoire in Boston, including excellent ones of such rarities as Honneger's "Joan Of Arc", and Poulenc's short opera, "Les Mamelles de Tiresias". His ventures into Austro/German music may not have been the very best, but neither were they poor. I have a very good "Damnation Of Faust" (Berlioz) with Ozawa/BSO.

Come to think of it, the short Poulenc opera was recorded in Japan, with the Saito Kinen Orch.

Barry

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk