General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Ozawa M7 with Boston...blew me away.

<< < (2/2)

sperlsco:

--- Quote from: Leo K on January 05, 2007, 08:16:06 PM ---And ditto regarding the Kindentotenlieder performance...I actually had tears afterwards. 

--- End quote ---

Kindertotenlieder -- I still have never listened to any performance of it...I'm superstitious.  Perhaps when my children turn 18.   

Amphissa:
I think Ozawa's era was often under-appreciated at BSO. That comment is based on more than just their recordings of Mahler. I've got a video of the Ozawa/BSO playing the Brahms First Symphony on tour in Japan, and it is a splendid performance, building to one of the most exciting climaxes I've ever heard for that work.

barry guerrero:
In fact, Ozawa recorded the Brahms symphonies with the Saito Kinen Orchestra on Philips, and they were really very, very good.

Barry

Amphissa:

--- Quote from: barry guerrero on January 07, 2007, 06:28:10 PM ---In fact, Ozawa recorded the Brahms symphonies with the Saito Kinen Orchestra on Philips, and they were really very, very good.

Barry

--- End quote ---

I haven't heard those performances, and should probably pick them up sometime. All I've heard of his Brahms is with BSO, and this video was a concert when they were on tour. The opening work of the performance is Also Spack Zarathustra. I don't know if it was ever released on CD or not. Seems likely that it was. But I enjoy watching the performance on video.

barry guerrero:
Yes, that was issued by Sony Classical. I also agree that the Ozawa period in Boston is generally under-appreciated. I guess one problem was that he was simply there too long. But he made a lot of good recordings of French repertoire in Boston, including excellent ones of such rarities as Honneger's "Joan Of Arc", and Poulenc's short opera, "Les Mamelles de Tiresias". His ventures into Austro/German music may not have been the very best, but neither were they poor. I have a very good "Damnation Of Faust" (Berlioz) with Ozawa/BSO.

Come to think of it, the short Poulenc opera was recorded in Japan, with the Saito Kinen Orch.

Barry

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version