Author Topic: How did'ya discover Mahler?  (Read 71500 times)

Offline waderice

Re: How did'ya discover Mahler?
« Reply #75 on: October 24, 2012, 08:17:22 PM »
Wade, does the film follow Mahler's notes for the symphony, in which he describes what happens in each movement (march of the dead, great summons, etc)?

Dave

Yes, it does, pretty much.  The selection of visual media to illustrate the various programmatic aspects of M2 may not be to everyone's (including me) liking, but as I said, that was one man's visual interpretation.  That might account for the so-so reception of the film.

Wade

Offline Roffe

« Reply #76 on: October 25, 2012, 05:24:46 AM »
Jason Starr's documentary on M3 (What the Universe Tells Me) seems to be available on YouTube in four parts (total length: about 1 hour):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bArhdP88dGE

Roffe

Offline Damfino

« Reply #77 on: October 25, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
Thanks, guys for the info and link. I was thinking my wife might get something out of these. She's at least getting to the point that she recognizes when Mahler is playing on the stereo, even if she doesn't know the work.

Dave

Offline gabyb

« Reply #78 on: January 04, 2014, 10:01:29 AM »
About 4 years ago my wife asked me about a few boxes of LPs I still had in storage, which in turn led me to buying a turntable to listen to them, which in turn led me to the local used records store, where the classical  LPs are cheap as dirt, where I started buying all the classical music I had always meant to try but hadn't back in the dark days of expensive classical CDs.  Among the stacks of music I brought home was Kubelik's M2, and when I put it on I was floored by the intensity and brilliance of the music, and have kept adding to my Mahler collection and have since listened to many versions of all the symphonies (except m8), and every time I take some time off from Mahler and come back to his music, I say out loud to myself or others how much more interesting and deep and rich and varied his music is than anyone else's (much as I love Bach, and having spent long periods of my life listening to nothing but Bach), I simply can't believe sometimes how it took me so long to find Mahler's music, and how he's still not universally recognised as a culmination of everything that's great and worthwhile in western music. 

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #79 on: January 04, 2014, 06:43:57 PM »
" a culmination of everything that's great and worthwhile in western music. "

I completely agree with that sentiment. But it took me a long time to come around to Mahler's music as well. When I went to Cal State Northridge for one semester (mid '70s), the guys there all shoved the Solti/Chicago recordings down my throat. I thought they were totally unmusical, and somehow associated that fault with the music itself. What finally turned me around was hearing Stokowski's L.S.O. M2 while turning a corner to see Mt. Lassen in front of us (riding in a car with a CSO Chico trumpet player friend) - right at the majestic, panoramic scene for brass in the finale. It was as though a light suddenly went on.

To this day, I can only 'respect' the Solti/C.S.O. recordings at most. There's just no music in them.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:37:48 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline umbernisitani

« Reply #80 on: January 05, 2014, 02:12:35 AM »
Unfortunately I started my Mahler experience with some awful recordings (such as Otmar Suitner's horribly rushed Mahler 5)--that was the time when I was still a complete newbie to classical music and hadn't realised that different artists performing the same music could come out sounding completely different (so I couldn't tell which were good and which weren't).  I thought back then that Mahler wasn't anything special, until a friend lent me Bernstein's DG M2 and 3:  those two recordings were my real introductions to Mahler's music.  I heard both and was completely hooked:  two sections that particularly struck me were the opening of the 5th movement--simply nothing like anything I'd heard till that moment--and the wild rabble section of the middle of M3.  I came away completely blown away by this movement of strange incoherence and juxtaposition of the banal and the sublime.

But since during that time I had no way of obtaining the rest of Bernstein's Mahler cycle, I had to resort to borrowing Mahler discs from the library (and I was taught to discern between good and bad recordings).  So I got my hands on gems such as Kubelik's Audite cycle, Barenboim's M7, etc.

The first Mahler recording I bought for myself was Rattle's Bournemouth M10 (a pretty unorthodox way to start a Mahler collection, esp. for a newbie!), and very soon I got Mehta's M2 for Christmas.  My first complete Mahler set was Solti's (actually my first Mahler set was Levine's but it wasn't complete), and for a while I was extremely impressed with the CSO brass and the sonics; it soon wore off in the face of sets by Boulez, Haitink, Levine, Abbado, Tennstedt, etc.  But when I want to get a naughty thrill, I return to the Solti set.

Offline mahlerite54

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2014, 04:19:03 PM »
I was so upset and scared at the time of Tiananmen Square massacre of 1989. I decided stay home and took several days off from work. I took out the un-opened Kubelik LP set which I bought years ago but never bother to listen to it. I listened to all the LP's for four days non-stop. Was hooked instantly.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2014, 06:08:15 PM »
Wow, that's quite a way to get started; sort of like jumping into the deep end of the pool at a young age. Good for you.

Offline Penny

« Reply #83 on: January 12, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
How did I discover Mahler?  It’s strange how chance encounters can completely change your life - it all started way back just after Christmas 1990 when I switched on the TV and happened to catch the end of one of Leonard Bernstein’s “Unanswered Question” lectures, shown as a tribute to the composer/conductor who had died a few months earlier.  I had heard very little of Mahler’s music previously but was totally overwhelmed by Bernstein’s performance of the final movement of Mahler’s 9th - this music spoke to me in a way I had never before experienced.  I had to find out more, and gradually discovered all of Mahler’s symphonies and most of his songs, devouring Henry Louis De La Grange’s biography as though it were a racy novel!

To cut a long story short, a couple of years later I was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to go first to college then to university as a mature student to study music to diploma level – after a break of nine years I’m now working towards completing my degree through the (British) Open University.  It has been a totally life-changing experience, and I’ve discovered a huge amount of music and met many interesting people, some of whom have become good friends.

Although I have great respect for Bernstein as a teacher and to some extent as a composer, my favourite Mahler conductor is probably Barbirolli.  I love all the symphonies but my favourite is still the ninth - or the Resurrection, or the sixth – or the fifth, or perhaps the seventh, not forgetting the third – it’s really difficult to choose!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2014, 07:12:25 AM »
"I’m now working towards completing my degree through the (British) Open University"

Good for you and best of luck.

"it’s really difficult to choose!"

Agreed - so true. Funny enough, my least favorite Mahler symphonies are probably the three most popular ones: M2, M5 and M9. But that doesn't really much because I would still choose those three symphonies over the vast majority of works by other composers. As great as M9 is, I still prefer Bruckner 9 sans conjectural finale. Perhaps if Bruckner had finished the 9th, I might not like it nearly so much. But that's speculation.

Offline marcodestabile

« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2015, 02:35:40 PM »
I was eleven, and my father brought the Kubelik's Titan LP. I used to listen to it with my headphones, eyes closed, and let images emerge from the bottom of my childish fantasy. Quite often I used to imagine aliens world and vulcanic planets in eruption. Some time later the italian television started broadcasting the Bernstein cycle at the Musikverein, and it was a weekly must see for the whole family, sitting on the sofa and trying to get by those scary, difficult but so emotively attractive rivers of notes. I remember the sweat falling from the enormous Lenny's nose, the pathos, the climax, it was more about life, pain and happiness, than just classical music.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2015, 11:21:58 PM »
Interesting thread.

I remember exactly how. As a Boy Scout I was doing my community service at the public library. Like most libraries in the 60's they loaned out LPs that were donated by record companies. So we had a large collection from RCA, Columbia, and Angel. My job one night was to check in returned items. One evening this lady I knew brought back the Bernstein Mahler 7th. She said, "This is just remarkable! You must try it." She knew I had a deep interest in classical and checked out records myself all the time. So I took it home that night and listened. Even as a 13-year-old I was awestruck - the weird, fascinating harmonies and dazzling orchestration hooked me at once. I kept that set for two weeks listening almost daily. And over the next year I checked it out several more times. I loved it! Then, my folks told me we were moving out of town. I was now desperate! That M7 would be out of reach. So I managed to put it on two 60 minute cassettes (that was a real challenge in those days) and at least had it to listen to in crappy mono cassette sound. But the move wasn't all that bad because near the new home was Recordland. And what do you know? They had the M7 in the Klemperer recording. Ugh! It was so slow, so dull. He ruined the M7. But then eventually I found the Bernstein and had my own copy and was happy again. Then came Scherchen and the M7 hoard began.

Related... at this same time (about 1970) I was given two tickets to hear the Stockholm Philharmonic with Antal Dorati. On the program: the 5th symphony. Blew me away. At that time M7 and M5 were the only Mahler I knew, but I was sure this was a composer worth getting to know better and Mahler has turned into a lifetime obsession. Is there any other composer who inspires such a following?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2015, 09:03:21 AM »
" I was given two tickets to hear the Stockholm Philharmonic with Antal Dorati. On the program: the 5th symphony."

They recorded it! I had the L.P.'s but gave them to a friend who was a big fan of Dorati.

Offline waderice

« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2015, 03:48:26 PM »
Dorati's farewell concert with the National Symphony Orchestra of Washington, DC was M5.  I really hated to see him go.  Management there treated his shoddily and didn't want to renew his contract.  The only halfway decent music director they've had since Dorati was Slatkin.

Wade

Offline baxtintagel

« Reply #89 on: July 20, 2015, 12:23:52 PM »
This is my firs post, but since it's all about Mahler beginnings that would seem appropriate.

My first Mahler introduction came in a flood throughout a mid-90s summer, during one of those long breaks between my first and second year at university. I had managed to get hold of a new PC and found myself experimenting with a CD ROM encyclopedia (this all sounds so antiquated now). All of the sound files were possible to access without going through the encylopedia, so I played around with those relating to classical composers. By that time I was familiar with a fair bit of Holst, Rimsky-Korsakov, Vaughan Williams and lots of film composers. In one of the move soundrack sleeves there was a reference to Mahler as an 'influence' so I picked out Mahler on the CD ROM. There was a sample from the finale of the First Symphony. Shortly after that I bought Yuri Simonov's RPO Collection recording of the whole first and loved it (not so keen on that recording now!). Then came a flood of Proms listening sessions on BBC radio 3 during the same summer. I heard the 2nd, 3rd and 6th, from which point I found myself inexplicably losing money and gaining CDs.

I seem to remember that my first full 'set' came between that point and December the same year, which was not a financially sensible thing to do at all. But hey ho. The first set was quite straightforward, with many choices that I still love now. In order they were: 1 (Simonov), 2 (Kaplan LSO), 5 (Abbado in Berlin), 6 (Boulez in Vienna), 7 (Abbado in Chicago), 4 (Maazel in Vienna), 3 (Abbado in Vienna), 8 (Tennstedt Studio version), 9 (Karajan I), 10 (Rattle Bournemouth), Das Lied von der erde (Haitink + lots of orchestral songs on a Philips Duo). The next year I added Das Klagende Lied (Chailly) and stopped for a bit. At this point you'll probably all spot that I was somewhat dependent on the Penguin Guide, largely because internet access in mid-90s Oxford was very slow indeed!

The interesting thing is how it all developed from there. I occasionally caught snippets of performances on the radio and always wondered 'what if I preferred another version, am I losing out?'. At that point I acquired Rattle's Second and Abbado's Berlin First, and although they may not be everyone's cup of it they did rather make it clear that different versions brought different benefits and deficits. From that point the freight train of Mahler purchases slowly groaned into motion, somewhat reaching full speed what I was at my second teaching (Mathematics not Music) post at a boarding school in England (where I had spare cash because I didn't have to pay any rent!). Nowadays each symphony is represented at least 60 times in my collection, though that's a silly point really now that we have so much available to stream.

Currently I am working through Sinopoli's set again, marvelling at just how 'different' it sounds now that I am listening with more experience (than when I bought it about 10 year ago I think).

The Mahler experience is still changing for me, not least through the discovery of Jens Malte Fischer's biography and Benjamin Zander's interesting lectures as recorded alongside his symphony discs. Some of Bernstein's lectures have altered my view, too, so it continues to be about new discoveries. My latest purchases threw up some interesting points. I was prepared to be wowed by Jansons' Radio Recordings disc of the 7th on RCO live, but was cruelly disappointed because someone appeared to be trying to kill the first trumpet throughout. Maazel's third set is now complete for me, too, and I still wonder how he managed to make the 8th move so slowly (though I did really enjoy the - also slow - 7th in THAT set). Also recently I dug out a second hand copy of Tennsted's Chicago First and loved it for all the swagger and character.

New recordings continue to bore, enthrall, excite, depress me depending on my mood and their mood, so the journey seems to restart over and over again.

All the best

Nick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk