Author Topic: Zinman/Zurich RCA/Sony recording of Das Lied  (Read 7465 times)

Offline SteelyTom

Zinman/Zurich RCA/Sony recording of Das Lied
« on: April 22, 2014, 02:18:12 PM »
New member here.  Anyone with thoughts on the concluding installment of Zinman's cycle?  Gramophone doesn't like it--http://www.gramophone.co.uk/node/129770/media-detail-- but German reviews have been more favorable.

I'm gonna guess that reactions will be along the lines of earlier views of Zinman's cycle-- if you like his general approach, you'll like this, etc.  That said, the vocal soloists can make or break this piece….

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Zinman/Zurich RCA/Sony recording of Das Lied
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 04:20:34 PM »
I don't know if it's on line, but I read Edward Seckerson's review of it. IMHO, Seckerson is England's best Mahler critic. His biggest issue was with the two singers. Just by hearing the brief samples at JPC Germany, that would be my comment as well. I really don't think it's so much a question of Zinman's approach. I thought Graham was truly disappointing on the disc of the shorter Mahler song cyles with MTT/SFSO, particularly the Ruckert Songs.  Sure enough, I didn't like how she sounded on the brief excerpts for this new "DLvdE" either. The tenor seemed truly second rate at best. Keep in mind that those are somewhat low level recordings, so be sure to turn them up. I've liked Graham in many other things, but I'm guessing that Mahler just isn't her bag.

What Seckerson did like - and I think it's a brilliant idea as well - is the addition of Busoni's "Berceuse Elegiaque": the next to the last work that Mahler ever conducted, and concludes with a solo stroke of the tam-tam.

Among recent recordings of "DLvdE", I like this on the LPO's in house label.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Lied-Erde-Song-Earth/dp/B00EZWNIT4/ref=sr_1_4?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1398268619&sr=1-4&keywords=mahler+das+lied+von+der+erde

Both singers are quite good, especially the tenor (which is unusual). Nezet-Seguin does a very good job.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 05:24:18 PM »
I've noticed that JPC added this brief video 'teaser', but I had trouble getting it to play OK on my computer. Perhaps others will have better luck.

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Gustav-Mahler-Das-Lied-von-der-Erde/hnum/2909358

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 01:19:22 AM »
For what they may be worth, here are a couple of German-language reviews:

http://www.pizzicato.lu/zinman-kront-seinen-mahler-zyklus-mit-dem-lied-von-der-erde/

http://www.rondomagazin.de/kritiken.php?kritiken_id=8673

Youtube has three fairly short videos documenting the project. 

I'm holding out hope this will be worth buying, having enjoyed 3, 7 and 10 in the Zinman cycle.  The excellent DSD sound is a major attraction, as is the Busoni (taken at an appropriately glacial tempo, apparently).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
"having enjoyed 3, 7 and 10 in the Zinman cycle."

For me, I would also add the 8th to that list. It doesn't have the best singers by any means. But I think it comes the closest to what it's like to hear the piece from a really good seat in hall that has a good organ. In other words, I think it's the most 'realistic' sounding. Zinman's fourth has a fabulous sounding climax to the slow movement too (unfortunately, the soprano ain't so great).

Someone told me that for the 8th, they had built the stage out and had placed the chorus people out where the audience normally is.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 07:46:12 PM »
Thanks for the heads-up about Zinman's recording of the Eighth.  I've got Tennstedt's studio recording on EMI, but I'd like a more sonically advanced supplement-- I've been eyeing Jansons/RCO as a possibility.

At the risk of seeming like a philistine, that's partly what attracts me to Zinman's Das Lied.  I've got Walter ('36 and '52), Klemperer (on LP), Baker/King/Haitink, and the Horenstein live recording...  But I suspect that DSD is ideal at conveying the chamber-like textures of the piece.  Sony certainly did very well by Zinman and company in the symphony recordings.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2014, 09:22:21 PM »
I will be picking this up. Sad to hear that the soloists may be 2nd rate. Still, I've got the rest of the Zinman cycle and might as well finish it off. I enjoy a lot of the cycle, with the 2nd and 5th being the low spots, in my opinion. Overall, a pretty good cycle in my estimation, even though it gets dogged frequently.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 09:29:09 PM »
Don't forget the significant bonus of ten minutes of Busoni-- that just might decide me.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 06:25:54 AM »
"Thanks for the heads-up about Zinman's recording of the Eighth.  I've got Tennstedt's studio recording on EMI, but I'd like a more sonically advanced supplement-- I've been eyeing Jansons/RCO as a possibility."

Jansons has a better cast of soloists than Zinman, and also possesses very good sound quality. But it is also soooo interpretatively neutral as to make Zinman sound like Furtwaengler in comparison. At least, that's my take on it. Jansons has slightly louder tam-tam smashes, but Zinman has a much better sounding organ. Zinman also makes a strong crescendo on the very final chord. Don't rule out the Markus Stenz on Oehms Classics either, which has THE greatest ending to the 8th symphony ever! The rest of it, however, seems a tad breathless. Also, the sound quality is just a tiny tad constricted in comparison to the Zinman. It's kind of tough call. Jonathan Nott on Tudor isn't far behind these three either (Jansons, Zinman and Stenz). We're spoiled.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 10:04:35 AM »
Hmm, Zinman it is.  I don't make a fetish of engineering, but recording quality is an important factor in a piece like this, all else being roughly equal…..  I'll bet Zinman has waited his whole career to be compared to Furtwangler!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 02:15:53 PM »
" I'll bet Zinman has waited his whole career to be compared to Furtwangler!"

I know what you mean, but I doubt it. First off, I was deliberately exaggerating to make a point (that's obvious). Second, Furtwaengler had such a narrow range of repertoire, and nearly all it being standardized Austro/German music. Like Slatikin, Zinman conducts a huge range of music.

Anyway, I hope you like the Zinman 8th. It'll see the engineering marvel that you seek. It's a very well paced performance too.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:17:30 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 01:07:18 AM »
Oh, I got the irony in your comparison, no worries.  I'm going to grab the Zinman M8 (for something like ten bucks), but have to deal with extortionate prices for the new Das Lied recording….  I gather because Sony has not distributed it in the US, so it qualifies as an "import".  Oh, well.

Offline brunumb

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk