Author Topic: link to Honeck/Pittsburgh M6  (Read 6530 times)

Offline barry guerrero

link to Honeck/Pittsburgh M6
« on: February 12, 2014, 04:54:20 AM »
http://wqed.vo.llnwd.net/o15/pgh_symphony_radio/12-13_26%20pso%20mix_pt2.mp3

WQED has the entire Honeck/PSO M6 on line. OMG! - it's like hearing the Vienna Philharmonic on steroids - STRONG steroids. It's in andante/scherzo order, which is fine considering that Honeck treats the andante as a Brucknerian adagio. However, it has absolutely THE best 'Alpine' passage I've ever heard, just after the 33 minute mark. I do wish that Honeck had taken the climactic passage of the slow movement a bit more swiftly, but the PSO strings 'pour it on' thick and heavy. They make it work.

The scherzo - placed third - perfectly fits Adorno's description of it being a, quote, "Laendler dance with a Polar Bear", unquote. In this case, the movement is really a throw-away, and makes a solid argument for future presentations of Mahler 6 as the world's greatest three movement symphony. But the finale, OMG! - if there's ever been a finale that shoves aside the notion that Mahler 6 is about little more than Mahler's own personal insecurities, and places one right smack in the trenches of the western front, this is it! Besides all the blasting and explosions from the brass and percussion, listen to the 'false victory parade' at the 1 hour, 27 minute mark. Never has it been done better. And the funereal procession for low brass that follows is just that - a funeral procession. Listen at your own risk. Kids, don't try this at home.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 05:40:59 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Russ Smiley

Re: link to Honeck/Pittsburgh M6
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 05:06:49 AM »
Barry
Thank you for providing the link! I listened once this morning with lousy computer speakers, so the following are my "first impressions". This was a live performance with the usual attendant benefits (many) and detriments (few). The performance is extremely well crafted by Honeck, and the PSO performers are phenomenal. (As a horn player that knows the work from the inside, I can confidently state that the horn section is magnificent, and Bill Caballero's many solos are exemplary, never perfunctory.) I heard tempi and treatments that differed from many other performances yet often seemed to me unquestionably correct. For example, the Alma theme is more ardent tenderness than youthful elation. The Alpine scenes are earthy and magical. The Andante is expansive as you observed, but the performers are in complete control delivering emotions that elude other simply tuneful performances. The contrasts in both the Scherzo and again in the Finale are not masked by persistently excessive volume and drive. The Finale is simply staggering. I can't wait for this to appear on CD.
Russ Smiley
Russ Smiley

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 06:16:02 AM »
I have a recording of this same live performance, given—I believe—15 June 2012 in Pittsburgh. The one linked above is at 112 Kbps and the one I have is at 320 Kbps, in considerably better sound. I'd be glad to offer a copy to anyone interested through a Dropbox download link, but I don't know if that's permitted on this board. Anyone?

In any case, a spectacularly good performance.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 07:58:38 AM »
Thanks for the offer. Since I get a significant discount at the place I work at in Berkeley, I'll probably just wait for Exton to issue it.

Barry

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 01:33:02 PM »
Hi James,

A bit late I fear, but I'd welcome your dropbox-link very much! Thanks a lot in advance!
I still will get me the Exton-release, as soon as it arrives, but in the meantime I'd like to check out your recording.

Cheers!
Freddy

Offline Frank

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 11:34:29 AM »
This is my first post here, have recently found this board.

I'm very glad, a friendly Hello from Germany to all here  :)

Wow, M6 with Manfred Honeck and the PSO ...

In July 2012, as Honeck was conductor in Stuttgart, I saw his performance of the 6th ... amazing!

Will never forget the second hammer stroke ... the light in the hall was flickering ... a nice effect ...

Really hope that Exton will release this on CD as soon as possible.

Kind regards, Frank
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 11:36:44 AM by Frank »

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2014, 01:14:04 AM »
Is Exton still involved in Honeck's Mahler cycle?  It's been a while since the last release, and Honeck's recent Strauss record was on Reference Recordings.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2014, 02:48:09 AM »
Is Exton still involved in Honeck's Mahler cycle?  It's been a while since the last release, and Honeck's recent Strauss record was on Reference Recordings.

Pittsburgh will continue its ongoing Mahler cycle with Exton; M9 is to be recorded in Heinz Hall during June of 2014.

The Strauss material and soon-to-be-released Dvorak 8 & 9 and Shostakovich 5 were all recorded by the SoundMirror team for release on Reference Recordings. This is unusual because most RR discs have been recorded by "Professor" Keith Johnson.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2014, 06:01:00 AM »
This is a very powerful, expressionistic Mahler Sixth. As usual, the Pittsburgh brass is awesome!

I very look forward to the upcoming commercial release by Exton.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk