Author Topic: Giulini M9 remastering  (Read 4776 times)

Offline hrandall

Giulini M9 remastering
« on: March 20, 2014, 09:04:59 PM »
Does anyone know if the Decca "The Originals" remastering (2000) of Giulini / Chicago's M9 is the same as what is found on the "Giulini in America: The Chicago Sympony Recordings" from 2011?

If the remastering in the later box set is newer, does anyone think the older version is preferable? I'm trying to decide which version to get.

Thanks,
Herb

Amazon references:
2000: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004R7X2
2011: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004TNZVEY

Offline James Meckley

Re: Giulini M9 remastering
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 01:02:39 AM »
I can't answer your question directly as I'm not familiar with the newer set, but I can offer the following information. The LP release and the first CD release of the Giulini M9 were marred by a serious technical problem—there was an unnatural intensity-vibrato that affected some of the inner string voices, possible caused by a tape-to-head contact issue on the multi-track master. The DG Originals remastering was the first release to correct this issue and was welcomed by all who enjoy this recording. One would hope that the parent company used the most recent remaster in the new box, but who knows. DG for all practical purposes doesn't exist anymore, and who knows if whoever now runs the operation is even aware of this issue.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline hrandall

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 04:08:10 AM »
Thanks for the information about the earlier technical problem with this recording. I misspoke in my original post - I wrote Decca but of course this was a DG release.

I can't explain exactly why yet, but I've really grown quite fond of this performance while listening to it on Spotify and would like to own the best released copy of it.

Herb

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 03:40:33 PM »
My guess - and this is only a guess - is that they're probably pretty similar. The one in the Giulini Chicago box might have also received the Emil Berliner Studios treatment, whatever the heck that means. If it's the version from the Chicago box that you listened to on Spotify, and you like it, I would say to just stick with that.

Offline SteelyTom

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 01:10:55 AM »
My understanding is that at some point over the past 3-4 years, Emil Berliner decided to employ DSD in digitally archiving DG's analog recordings.  (The earlier remasters were done exclusively in hi-res PCM.)  From EB's point of view, then, DSD involves sonic benefits, but opinions on this, as we all know, differ.

Offline merlin

• Evening Sun
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Wondering about the interpretation?  Very mixed reviews at amazon.  I very much enjoy Giulini's approach to Beethoven (concertos 1, 3, and 5 with Michelangeli, and symphonies 3, 5, and 9).

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 12:28:55 AM »
Wow, tough question. After many years of listening to this recording, I'm still not sure where I stand on it. On the one hand, it's a very powerful performance that pushes the work farther towards the more overtly 'expressionistic' sound-world of Alban Berg. On the other hand, it's oddly proportioned and feels like it's bogging down a tad in the two inner movements; particularly the Rondo-Burlesque. Also, the last waltz section of the second movement fails to pick up any speed heading towards its climax (a la "La Valse"). I like the heavy strings and overall weight of the textures in the last movement; particularly if you get one of the newer remasterings, where they've addressed the issue of the 'wavy', out-of-phase strings. Lots of pros and cons, I would say. I certainly wouldn't want it as my one and only Mahler 9. But I'm sure there are others who don't want to hear ANY other version as well.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2014, 05:59:37 AM »
I agree with Barry.

I think the main issue is the orchestra. Although Giulinin had this uncompromisingly visionary idea in his head to deliver, CSO was simply not the best ensemble he had at his disposal. Philadelphia or even Cleveland orchestra might have done it as per Giulini's vision. For example, as Barry pointed out too often I find the balance odd with Chicago brass unbearably drowning out every other instruments. As for the string - besides the strange vibrational tone caught in the tapes - their cumulative power is no match for VPO or even BPO. They aren't powerful nor lyrical either. There is a Giulini/Philadelphia Orch. version floating around on youtube, by the way.

John

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk