Author Topic: RIP Lorin Maazel  (Read 10493 times)

Offline barry guerrero

Re: RIP Lorin Maazel
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2014, 05:19:40 AM »
"Japp van Zweden conducted it here in Chicago a couple years ago. His solution to the weakness of the finale was to chop off a good deal of it and replace it with the coda from the first movement. Impressively played by the CSO, but I don't think that worked at all."

That's actually a printed version of "Manfred". I know this because a friend had inquired with a Russian firm clear back in the 1970's. Years went by, and suddenly a bundle showed up on his doorstep. It was "Manfred" in the version you mention above.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2014, 05:28:41 AM »
"That's actually a printed version of "Manfred". I know this because a friend had inquired with a Russian firm clear back in the 1970's. Years went by, and suddenly a bundle showed up on his doorstep. It was "Manfred" in the version you mention above."

Interesting, but I much prefer the original, warts and all. And sorry about "Japp" instead of "Jaap."

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2014, 05:40:10 AM »
I do too. Apparently, Tchaikovsky wanted a smallish, chapel type organ for the end of "Manfred". To my ears, I think it sounds best if that first organ chord is neither too big, nor too small. It's probably hard to get it just right. In the narrative, Manfred walks into a chapel at that point, so you can't make it sound like Notre Dame or St. John's.

Offline mike bosworth

« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2014, 08:02:54 AM »
In fact, Manfred's fruitless encounter with a priest comes much earlier in Byron's poem, perhaps indicated by Tchaikovsky by the chimes heard late in the 3rd pastoral movement, which primarily reflects Manfred's discussion with a peasant farmer.

At the end of the poem, Manfred cheats both the underworld demons and the church of his soul, despite the appeals of the priest who has rushed to the scene asking him to accept God in his final moments.  Using his last magic trick, he ends his life; as the priest says in the final sentence of the poem: "his soul has taken its earthless flight; Whither? I dread to think, but he is gone".

Tchaikovsky apparently felt that this was too dark a finish for his title character, and therefore inserted the church-like chorale with organ, followed by the peaceful conclusion as an indication that despite his crimes, Manfred had somehow achieved positive redemption.

Mike Bosworth
Phnom Penh

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2014, 02:57:40 PM »
"his soul has taken its earthless flight; Whittier?"

Whittier!?!  .   .   who wants to go to Whittier when they've passed away   ;)

Seriously, thank you for clarifying.

Offline Constantin

« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2014, 11:40:29 PM »
Quote:

"Whittier!?!  .   .   who wants to go to Whittier when they've passed away   ;)"

Would that I were wittier, wondering whither wandered Whittier!   ;)
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:42:58 PM by Constantin »
Und ruh' in einem stillen Gebiet

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2014, 04:45:34 AM »
.    .    .   I guess Dick Nixon might want to go there (?).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk