Author Topic: anyone greater than Mahler?  (Read 17850 times)

Offline justininsf

Re: anyone greater than Mahler?
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2015, 01:21:07 AM »
I first saw Bruckner 8 also in San Francisco with Blomstedt in the 90s, my second experience was with Haitink with Boston Sympony in the late 90s, again it was so good I bought another ticket for the next night.

I bet Haitink and Vienna was great.

I could not get over the sound of the brass, it was incredible, if a bit overpowering at times, but that's what Bruckner is for anyways.  Also reminded me that live symphonic music is just impossible to replicate with recordings/speakers/headphones.  This Feddeck is one to watch for, I'm curious to see if Friday (his 3rd and final performance in the series, and his 3rd time with the SFS) he is able to forge an even better synergy with the ensemble.

One funny note:  the cymbalist and triangulist (is that what they're called) had to sit through 40 minutes just to stand up for a total of 20 seconds to hit the two climaxes in the adagio, and then sat down after that.  I remember a Cheers episode where a guy in a tux was enjoying a beer at the bar while counting to himself, when Sam or Woody asked who that was, someone said it was the percussionist from the Boston Symphony waiting for his cymbal moment.  Or something like that.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2015, 05:43:21 AM »
This is Bruckner 7, but it's the same idea  .   .   . 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9s2JSQ-pWo
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 05:53:16 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2015, 05:52:58 AM »
.    .    .  and if enjoyed that, here's on for Mahler 6

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTloV4Bn10I

Offline justininsf

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2015, 04:50:01 PM »
Barry, you're not going??  It's worth seeing plus I'd like your take on it.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2015, 04:59:45 PM »
Sorry, I'm working. Plus, I have a non-paying gig on Saturday. My best friend is going though.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2015, 05:14:05 PM »
here's a preview for more  .    .    .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aN3zwXqwnAU

And as promised, Sheherazade. Jump to 4:55 for numbers 10 & 11 - priceless! No. 12 bring us back to Mahler 6.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KGyV2mp8-s

Offline justininsf

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2015, 05:59:25 PM »
hahah, barry these are great!

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2015, 08:24:38 PM »

One funny note:  the cymbalist and triangulist (is that what they're called) had to sit through 40 minutes just to stand up for a total of 20 seconds to hit the two climaxes in the adagio, and then sat down after that.  I remember a Cheers episode where a guy in a tux was enjoying a beer at the bar while counting to himself, when Sam or Woody asked who that was, someone said it was the percussionist from the Boston Symphony waiting for his cymbal moment.  Or something like that.

You have no idea...I spent/spend much time playing in orchestras in the percussion section. It can be torture. Some of the worst:

Dvorak - NewWorld Symphony. As the sole percussionist you sit until the 3rd movement only to play triangle. Then in the last movement ONE scrape on a cymbal. That's it.
Tchaikovsky - Pathetique. Fun as it is, waiting to play cymbals in the 3rd movement still doesn't make up for all the sitting through the rest. Well, at least there's a tam tam in the finale.
Elgar - Pomp & Circumstance #1 - hired to play the glockenspiel part, but it only enters in the last 8 bars or so.
Handel - Messiah. Never again will I do this. You're hired to play timpani, but sit and sit and sit only to play in Hallelujah and that's all.
Tchaikovsky - Symphony 5. Even though there are no percussion parts, some conductors want a cymbal crash in the finale like Szell did. Tasteless, tacky, stupid and boring to wait for.
Beethoven - 9th - the contrabassoon part is almost unplayably difficult. But at least it's not the cymbal or triangle part which only get to work in the middle of the finale.

The most annoying of all was being hired to play bass drum in the Shostakovich 9th in a town 100 miles away. There's a really loud solo boom in the first movement. Then you go home, 100 miles, and $125 richer. Stupid.

Mahler percussion - there are no boring symphonies or parts to play at all - they are all really interesting, although the contrabassoon parts are even better.

Offline waderice

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2015, 01:05:25 AM »
I and a horn-playing friend were involved years ago in a performance of M2.  I was 2nd bass in the chorus and he was one of the off-stage horns in the last movement.  He was amused that he got paid a full union wage to play only 43 notes!  Poor overworked violinists, take note! (But I'm not making fun; it was my friend who had all the fun!)

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2015, 06:16:44 PM »
Neumann's M5 always sounded a bit different, with some cymbal crashes in different places (or not there at all), etc.

There was also a first version of at least the first movement - the one that Alma complained that the melody had been covered over by percussion (and personally, I think the military drum - w/o snares - should be louder in that movement). I don't know if any of the other movements had been revised.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 06:18:50 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2015, 06:20:53 PM »
"Poor overworked violinists, take note!"

Never feel sorry for string players. It just doesn't pay.

Offline Prospero

« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2015, 12:42:51 AM »
Did anyone ever hear of J. S.  Bach?

Tom in Vermont

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2015, 03:47:30 AM »
meaning?   .     .     .   

Offline Prospero

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2015, 08:47:53 PM »
Bach, Mass in b minor, Saint Matthew Passion, and 1000 other compositions

How about Beethoven?

Missa Solemnis, 9th Symphony, late quartets.

etc.

There are a number of  transcendentally great composers. Mahler is very great indeed. I have visited his grave in Grinzing.

But it would be folly to ignore the spectrum of musical achievement just because one adores Mahler.

Tom in Vermont

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2015, 04:11:03 AM »
That goes without saying, I think. It's just that this a G.M. website. I would also say that there are numerous truly great composers who are not Austro/German.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 04:23:15 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk