Author Topic: Inbal/Mahler 3/TMSO  (Read 3406 times)

Offline ChrisH

Inbal/Mahler 3/TMSO
« on: April 20, 2015, 02:50:39 PM »
This recording is throwing me for a loop, I'll be honest. It's so fast. Too fast, I think. The first movement comes in at roughly 30:00 minutes! Initially I thought to myself, this is pretty quick. Then I started looking through my other M3 offerings and I can't find anything that's remotely close to this. Kondrashin is almost 3 minutes faster. Inbal gives us the final movement in about 22 minutes. Scherzo in 16 and the remaining movements are closer to the 'normal' timings we encounter in this work.

I would put this recording in the same category as the blazing Jarvi M7 and the glacial Klemp M7. Something of an oddity, worth hearing because it's different, but I would be surprised if anyone would put this recording on their top shelf. 

The orchestral playing is, for the most part, really good. Personally the brass was a bit of let down in the first movement. I could of used a lot more in the trombone solo and the horns at the end of the 3rd movement are parts that, I felt, were underpowered.

Sorry this isn't much of a real review, I felt that the overall swiftness of this recording is the biggest thing for or against this interpretation. I would be curious to know if this is, in fact, the fastest M3 on record without cuts. 

Offline James Meckley

Re: Inbal/Mahler 3/TMSO
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 04:33:51 PM »
I would be curious to know if this is, in fact, the fastest M3 on record without cuts.

It's the shortest overall timing I know of. Adding up the movement timings without allowing for applause (if any), I get 90:01 for Inbal/Tokyo. The three shortest commercial recordings of which I'm aware are Leinsdorf/Boston at 92:27, Saccani/Budapest at 92:16, and Kondrashin/Moscow at 91:16 (using his timings for the movements sung in German rather than Russian). Mitropoulos/New York is shorter than Inbal/Tokyo, but of course that one contains significant cuts.

Interestingly, the earlier Inbal/Frankfurt recording is much more sedate at 98:11 (32:34 / 9:57 / 18:06 / 9:34 / 4:03 / 23:57). This is one conductor who doesn't seem to be slowing down as he ages.

James
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline ChrisH

Re: Inbal/Mahler 3/TMSO
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 11:16:51 PM »
Thanks for that, James. I've not heard the Leinsdorf/Boston recordings, or the Saccani/Budapest. I do enjoy the rawness of the Kondrashin recording though, all of them actually. Those braying trumpets can grow on you.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk