Author Topic: New collection of essays on Gustav Mahler  (Read 5158 times)

Offline Wunderhorn

New collection of essays on Gustav Mahler
« on: April 19, 2015, 12:26:20 AM »
Hello Everyone!

I'm delighted to inform you that the collection of essays I've created to honour the 90th birthday of Henry-Louis de La Grange is in press and should be released later this year, perhaps even as early as this summer.  The publisher is Peter Lang, who also published the first Festschrift for Henry-Louis' 70th birthday.

I've created a Facebook page and group for the book:

Naturlauf: Scholarly Journeys Toward Gustav Mahler, Essays in Honour of Henry-Louis de La Grange for His 90th Birthday.

Welcome, one and all, and please feel free to correspond with me about the book and about Mahler in general.

Sincerely,

Paul-André Bempéchat, Artist-in-Residence
Leverett House, Harvard University
pabempec@fas.harvard.edu
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 02:07:35 AM by Wunderhorn »

Offline barry guerrero

Re: New collection of essays on Gustav Mahler
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2015, 05:39:03 AM »
Awesome. I can't wait to check this out. Thank you.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 04:55:16 PM »
Speaking of H.L. de la Grange -- does anyone know if/when vol. 1 of his massive Mahler bio will ever appear in an updated/corrected version? I have vol. 1 in the Doubleday edition I bought way back in '74 and have heard rumors of a new edition, but lately nothing.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 05:26:16 PM »
Speaking of H.L. de la Grange -- does anyone know if/when vol. 1 of his massive Mahler bio will ever appear in an updated/corrected version? I have vol. 1 in the Doubleday edition I bought way back in '74 and have heard rumors of a new edition, but lately nothing.

I just corresponded with Paul-André Bempéchat about this very matter. He says that Professor La Grange is working diligently on his revision to Volume I and expects it to be ready "later this year or early next." Mr. Bempéchat said that he plans to be in contact with Professor La Grange later today (4/20) and would send an update.

I, too, have the 1973 Doubleday (as well as the three later volumes), and I'm anxious to complete the set!

James
« Last Edit: April 24, 2015, 06:07:27 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 05:35:39 PM »
Thanks for that update, James.  I asked the very same question over at the Facebook Mahler Forum, and no one there could seem to provide an answer.  And there are authoritative people on Mahler research and scholarship there, to boot!

Wade

Offline Wunderhorn

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 03:11:10 AM »
Good evening, Fellow Mahlerites!

I spoke with Henry-Louis this morning, who informed me that he expects the revised Vol. 1 to emerge late in 2016.  I will keep everyone posted.

Best wishes,

Paul-André Bempéchat, Artist-in-Residence
Leverett House, Harvard University
pabempec@fas.harvard.edu

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 08:35:41 PM »
Thank you very much for the update. de La Grange is 90 - pray for him! We need vol 1!

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
His original publication of Volume 1, published by Doubleday, IIRC, shows up occasionally at online booksellers, such as ABEBooks, but usually at astronomical prices.  It came out 42 years ago.

Wade

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
I just need to sell my copy (in excellent condition, with dustjacket) before it becomes worthless if a revised vol. 1 is coming!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk