Author Topic: M7 observations  (Read 9586 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Re: M7 observations
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2015, 03:05:29 AM »
I was curious about the Nott M7. I like his M6, but in the first movement, I hear a kind of hissing sound. I don't know if the conductor was vocalizing or if something else was going on, and I didn't notice it in the other movements. Also, I find the recording lacking in deep bass, and string tone is dull.

Barenboim almost always annoys me, and so far I can't get past the first movement of his M7. Mahler almost always writes with a strong rhythmic profile, which Barenboim tends to smear. When he left the CSO and said he would never conduct it again, I thought, OK, it's safe to go downtown again.

I'll say this for Haitink: He knows how to "scale" a live performance in a way that reduces the acoustic problems at Orchestra Hall. By comparison, I heard Barenboim do M9 there, and because of the insensitive conducting and uniformly gray sonic sludge, it was one of very few concerts that made me want to leave early.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: M7 observations
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2015, 08:07:09 AM »
I saw Barenboim/CSO do M7 in Carnegie Hall, and it was really very good. Of course, that's a completely different acoustic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk