Author Topic: Fischer M9 now available to download  (Read 8993 times)

Offline Russell

Fischer M9 now available to download
« on: May 09, 2015, 04:06:55 AM »
Ivan Fischer's new M9 with Budapest is available to download in all the standard and hi-res formats directly from Channel Classics:

http://www.channelclassics.com/fischer-36115.html

and at Native DSD Music (stereo & mutlichannel DSF files):

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/mahler-symphony-no-9-in-d-major

The physical SACD will be available later this month, evidently.

If it's anything like his other Mahler, it should be a very strong contender, but there's one person at SA-CD.net who's obsessing over the timing of the final movement, saying it's too fast and he therefore rules it out of contention:

http://www.sa-cd.net/showthread/130409//y?page=first

Interesting reading, but of course I'm reserving judgement until I hear it for myself....

Russell

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Fischer M9 now available to download
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 05:08:46 AM »
I don't know what's happened, but I've been rather disappointed by Fischer's most recent releases. He seems to have become almost too lightweight. I thought the Mahler 5 was a complete dud. I don't care about the 9th - too many good ones already. I'm just hoping the 7th - which is allegedly going to be next - will be really good.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 04:12:45 PM »
Just downloaded it this morning. Hopefully I have time to take it in before I head to Grand Rapid for Mahler 2; it's also the last concert of their music dirctor, David Lockington.

A year from now the 7th will be released, then they are finishing up with the 3rd.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 07:25:48 PM »
It may not be up to the standards of certain hi-res downloads, but Amazon has it on pre-order for $3.99. I figure I'll try it, and if I like it, I may spring for the SACD.

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 10:52:25 PM »
Just finished listening to it (I downloaded the DSD version from Native DSD Music) and I think it's magnificent.  Fischer, the BFO, and Channel are back on track (after their admittedly odd M5) and have achieved a new level of excellence with this M9.  And in no way does the Adagio seem overly fast--it's all in the phrasing, not the total timing!

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:04:22 AM »
"it's all in the phrasing, not the total timing!

Makes sense to me. I'm glad that they're back on track.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2015, 10:01:03 PM »
Now that I've spent a bit of time with this new Fischer recording, I can only echo what Russel said above. It is magnificent. Utterly musical, and connected. At times it is an orgy of color, texture and sound. Almost expressionistic.

The 2nd violins are captured wonderfully, they speak so clearly and in turn, so does Mahlers polyphony. Channel Classics has really outdone themselves with this recording. The dynamic range  is very large, so you may want to pump the volume a bit higher.

There is a lot to like, I think. From the way the bassoons play the opening of the Landler, Ivan's amazing balances, or the damned rude trombones in the Scherzo. It's a powerful recording. One thing that has made me think when going through this recording, is that Fischer doesn't over emphasize many of the 'Mahlerisms' that other conductors do. At the very start of the work, the 2nd violin line, enters at the same volume as everything. As part of the music. Not in the way that phrase is often made so prominent. There is a lot of this through out the recording. Nothing is milked, nothing is brought to the fore, it's all just there, part of the music.

Excellent recording, would recommend.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2015, 11:15:00 PM »
Sorry to put stock into timings, but would somebody be kind enough to post the timings for the Fischer/BFO M9. Thanks.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2015, 12:29:06 AM »

Andante comodo 25:47    
Im Tempo eines gemachlichen Landlers 15:12    
Rondo Burleske 12:05    
Adagio 22:48

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2015, 06:26:35 AM »
Interesting that such a fast performance should turn out so well. I generally like 27 to 28 minutes for the first movement, and 26 to 27 minutes for the finale.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 02:24:35 AM »
While I like Fischer's clear headed, no-nonsense approach that brings out the structural unity and textural clarity, I can't warm to his overall emotionally detached approach. It just sounds too cold for my taste. Also, some of the details such as high woodwinds are NOT as audible as I like, although the brass and percussion at the major climax on I. are awesome. The Landler, OTOH, is outstanding in differentiating the tempos in subsections and imbuing waltz-like qualities.

Of the recent M9ths I'd recommend Chung/SPO/DG. I think it was just released in USA too.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2015, 12:16:01 AM by John Kim »

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 05:28:36 AM »
Yep - the Chung M9 is available domestically (U.S.). On the other hand, I don't think the "Resurrection" is. I'm not sure of the status with Chung's M1. I just wish Chung would record one or two Mahler symphonies with the Dresden Staatskapelle.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2015, 12:16:46 AM »
IMO, Chung's M1st on DG is also a top contender. Fanfare Magazine raved about the CD in their review.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 07:58:12 AM »
I'm sorry, but I can't get behind this Fischer M9 either. Close, but not quite. It's definitely an improvement over his 5th, but this is just too 1938 Bruno Walter for my liking (far better sound and playing though). I'm really bothered that Fischer takes such an outrageous fast tempo for the first waltz section (out of three) in the second movement - it just leaves little room for any surprises for the listener further down the line. The main climaxes to the first two movements are pretty darn good, but everything else surrounding them sounds hurried. The end of the first movement just isn't quiet enough, or 'controlled' enough in the woodwinds. The last movement is OK, but I really prefer 25 minutes when fast tempi are employed for the first three movements. For this type of a performance, I really prefer both Alan Gilbert and Kurt Masur (N.Y.).

Both Gilbert and Masur have very similar timings for the first three movements, but then stretch the finale to north of 25 minutes. Even better, just get the ultra-cheap Abbado/Vienna Phil. reissue o DG You simply can't beat that for the money. It's better proportioned all the way around.

I think Fischer's way with Mahler will really work much better for M7 (which should be next).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2015, 02:58:16 AM »
Barry,

I agree. For me the weak presence of woodwinds nearly turned me off. I mean, they are audible in the quiet passages but disappear completely in the loud, climactic passages. They are supposed to be heard SCREAMING there!

For a single disc M9, go for Chung/SPO/DG which is far better interpreted, played and recorded.

John,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk