Author Topic: a complete L. Slatkin/Detroit S.O. M3 on Youtube  (Read 4710 times)

Offline barry guerrero

a complete L. Slatkin/Detroit S.O. M3 on Youtube
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:10:39 AM »
Don't write off Detroit. This is a very good orchestra that plays in an excellent acoustic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESCxNNwSFHM

Offline AZContrabassoon

Re: a complete L. Slatkin/Detroit S.O. M3 on Youtube
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2015, 03:29:33 AM »
Who would ever write off Detroit? One of the great orchestras out there. I've heard them live in their own hall and in my opinion it is the best orchestra hall in the entire country. Far better than the halls for Chicago, New York, Dallas, Los Angeles, San Francisco. It's also better than many European halls. Only Boston, Cleveland, and Kansas City play in halls as good. The sound wraps around you. The bass is solid and deep. They could stand to have new seats, but that's a minor quibble. It's not in such a nice part of Detroit.

Slatkin's Mahler creds have been proven many times. Forty years after recording the 2nd on Telarc, it still stands out as a thrillingly played and recorded reading. His 1st is excellent, too. Detroit's main problem is that because of the collapse of the classical recording industry in the US, we don't hear them that often any more. When Jarvi was there, they at least made some superb recordings for Chandos. The players in the orchestra are superb, dedicated, and every bit as good as players anywhere. Any American city would be blessed to have such a magnificent orchestra.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2015, 03:56:18 AM »
I agree on every point!

Offline sbugala

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2015, 09:44:26 PM »
I heard him do a fine M3 here in St. Louis. Thanks for passing this along!

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 02:27:31 AM »
Slatkin's M2nd on Telarc is the best sounding recording (of all M2s) I've ever heard.

Offline waderice

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2015, 01:03:58 AM »
While still living in Virginia, I heard Slatkin conduct live, both M2 and M8 with the Washington National Symphony Orchestra.  As I remember many years later, these were good performances.  Now that I live in the Philadelphia area, I've heard Yannick Nezét-Seguin perform M2 live (it was an excellent performance, by a superior ensemble), and have ordered tickets for the centennial performance of M8's first performance here in the U.S., for this coming March, which should be quite an occasion.

Wade

Offline akiralx

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2015, 04:03:01 AM »
Detroit's main problem is that because of the collapse of the classical recording industry in the US, we don't hear them that often any more. When Jarvi was there, they at least made some superb recordings for Chandos. The players in the orchestra are superb, dedicated, and every bit as good as players anywhere. Any American city would be blessed to have such a magnificent orchestra.

There are some DSO releases on iTunes (UK at least), seemingly broadcasts from concerts.  The most recent is a Tchaikovsky symphony cycle under Slatkin!
« Last Edit: June 03, 2015, 11:33:31 AM by akiralx »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk