Author Topic: comparative listening mahler 4  (Read 4789 times)

Offline abbado71

comparative listening mahler 4
« on: June 09, 2015, 07:07:21 AM »
Hi everybody Mahler's fan

in parallel to our French forum which already has more than a million of posts, I propose to organize a Comparative listening of the 4th symphony of Gustav Mahler

Everybody is welcome come to participate in this Comparative listening . I think that this forum doesn't have vocation to the mockeries and therefore each, in particular those which can be afraid to be victim of some lampoons, in all confidence can participates and givig their opinion and ordering

Concerning the technical motives of organization;

1) Comparative listening will get used to the blind (but it is allowed to listen with open eyes)
2) will have five phases (the third movement is to long )
4)I will send the excerpts of every group by private message (So it’s importance to enroll here or by private message)

Comparative listening will begin in around 4 days( time for the members to enroll and for our French forum to finish the 5th Shostakovich 's Comparative listening

The first phase will be composed of 36 differents records of around 70 versions that I listened (so it will have best, very best battle ! )

This 36 différents records are distributed ,for the first phase( first mouvement listening), in 9 groups of 4 records.

You listen each record, make a little review and class it.
You delivred a score based on 10 points at which you add:

10 point for the highter score version
 8 for that which have a rating equal to or just less at this first
6 for  that which have a rating equal to or just less at this second
4 for the other

After the votes of each person in a group , at the end of a phase(you have around 2 week for a phase) , I will do an average considering  scores by previous movements ( Each one coefficient 1)

If you speak french, you can visit http://classik.forumactif.com/t7759-ecoute-comparee-de-la-4eme-de-mahler

I propose you to trying to make the link between our french forum and yours forum

Are you OK ??   
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 06:28:25 PM by abbado71 »

Offline ChrisH

Re: comparative listening mahler 4
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 03:07:06 PM »
If I had the time, I would love to participate in this blind comparative listening. Having done this on occasion with a good friend, the results are frequently not what you expect them to be. Another classical music forum, the Good Music Guide, did a fairly extensive blind listening comparison with the M1. Jansons M1 with the RCO was almost a unanimous winner.

I think it's always a good idea to try and take bias out of the equation when really trying to judge something.

Offline abbado71

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 04:09:59 PM »
thank you for your answer.

Are you sure that  you won't have time to participate(first phase will begin on 13 and  will end 28 until midnight )  ;)

Can you send me a like for this  blind listening comparison   

Thank again  :D

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 05:27:32 PM »
Like!

Offline abbado71

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2015, 05:41:41 PM »
Javi,  you want to participate ? ;D

Two option:

-Either you register on this french forum http://classik.forumactif.com/ to make yours record's review and your score/ranking. It's may be more easy to follow résults.  My pseudo in classik.forumactif is the same that here

-Or you send me (or you post in this post) yours reviews and score/ranking and I reply it in french forum ( excuse me for my poor English :( )

What you prefer?

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2015, 06:14:55 PM »
At the risk of sounding typically American, I simply don't have the time to participate. I have to sneak in my Mahler listening where I can these days. I've already heard hundreds of recordings of Mahler 4, so hearing many of those same recordings again - in a row! - would not be such a pleasure. Sorry to sound negative. I do wish you all the best in this venture.

Offline abbado71

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2015, 06:27:50 PM »
Just to let, we will just listen four first mouvement 's  diferents versions( 9 groups of 4 records ). You will have around 2 week for this .
For the second phase,  foursecond mouvement 's  diferents version ...

so it's more easy to participate because the time that was spent on is shorter that if you listen each fulls records.

I repeat that because I don"t know if you have understand because of my english

musically and amicably

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2015, 06:29:36 PM »
Sounds good, and I'm sure the results will be eye opening (surprising).
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 04:43:33 AM by barry guerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk