Author Topic: Mahler 6 Leinsdorf  (Read 7404 times)

Offline BeethovensQuill

Mahler 6 Leinsdorf
« on: July 08, 2015, 01:01:54 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone has any views on the Mahler 6th by leinsdorf live in 83 on orfeo.

Been going through a bit of a Mahler 6 obsession phase, so i'm tempted to add a new recording maybe not that one, maybe the Saraste, my favourite 2 are the Tilson-Thomas and the Nott.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Mahler 6 Leinsdorf
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 06:21:29 PM »
A big fuss was made about the Leinsdorf/Orfeo release when it came out, but I can't remember why I wasn't all THAT impressed by it. Orfeo issues are expensive. I suggest trying the van Zweden/Dallas S.O. one, but turn up the volume - it's a bit of a low level recording. Once you turn it up, it's great. It can get it quite cheap through a third party at Amazon. If you read my review, be sure to click on "read more" so that you get the whole thing. Mine is the only intelligent one there.

http://www.amazon.com/Mahler-6-Dallas-Symphony-Orchestra/dp/B00FEFOL4W/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1436383049&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=mahler+6+van+zwelden&pebp=1436383057626&perid=1WYVS9QFXXBYBPQDT0HE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 07:21:44 PM by barry guerrero »

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 07:06:11 PM »
The Leinsdorf M6 on Orfeo sounds great in terms of sound quality. You can hear the score very well. The performance itself is a little lukewarm though.

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 10:35:21 PM »
I keep hoping that RCA/Sony will release one of those cheap white box multi-sets of what Leinsdorf recorded in Boston. There's a fine 1, 3, a superb 5, and historic 6. Just a simple 5-disk set. Haven't heard the Orfeo (and why are those so danged expensive?).

Offline waderice

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:23:48 PM »
I keep hoping that RCA/Sony will release one of those cheap white box multi-sets of what Leinsdorf recorded in Boston. There's a fine 1, 3, a superb 5, and historic 6. Just a simple 5-disk set. Haven't heard the Orfeo (and why are those so danged expensive?).

The Orfeo label is from Austria.  I think the reason they're so expensive is that virtually everything they issue is live performances, and there probably are royalty issues associated with the issues (just my guess).  I've bought a few, and can remember when they were on sale briefly (I think it was at Arkiv Music).  I also bought some when I was in Vienna and Salzburg.  The same problem exists with the British Testament label.

Wade

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2015, 04:41:20 AM »
.   .    .   really, labels still pay royalties these days!   :o

Offline akiralx

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2015, 12:03:33 PM »
Was just wondering if anyone has any views on the Mahler 6th by leinsdorf live in 83 on orfeo.

Been going through a bit of a Mahler 6 obsession phase, so i'm tempted to add a new recording maybe not that one, maybe the Saraste, my favourite 2 are the Tilson-Thomas and the Nott.

I assume you have Leinsdorf's excellent studio BSO recording.  That, Karajan and the Dohnanyi are my favourite M6s - the last only let down by the hammer blows...

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2015, 04:50:38 PM »
Can't share your enthusiasm for the Karajan M6 BUT, the Dohnanyi/Cleveland one is really great except for those damn metallic 'ping' hammer strokes.

Dohnanyi conducts it in a straight forward manner - very much like Boulez or van Zweden - with the Andante Moderato kept under 15 minutes (as it should be). Therefore, the star of the show is the phenomenal playing of Cleveland and Decca's dark yet clear sound.  It also came with a really good performance of Schoenberg's "Five Pieces". If only Decca would go back and digitally fix those hammer strokes and reissue it.

Offline James Meckley

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2015, 02:19:30 AM »
Was just wondering if anyone has any views on the Mahler 6th by Leinsdorf live in 83 on Orfeo.

I own both of Leinsdorf's Mahler 6 CDs: the 1965 Boston on RCA (as a Japanese import) and the 1983 BRSO on Orfeo. The earlier one is superior in every way—a clear up-front recording and a relatively intense, focused performance. The Orfeo is recorded from a more distant perspective and the performance is a snoozer; I recommend giving it a pass.

James
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:40:49 AM by James Meckley »
"We cannot see how any of his music can long survive him."
Henry Krehbiel, New York Tribune obituary of Gustav Mahler

Offline BeethovensQuill

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2015, 10:57:58 AM »
Thanks for all your replies, i don't have his studio 6th but i did have his 5th and now i can't seem to find anywhere, i must have charity shopped it.  I think i'll give his live 6th a miss.

Offline MichaelO

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2015, 02:29:32 PM »
Hi:

High Definition Tape Transfers offers in various format--cd, DVD-A etc.--of the commercial 6th from reel to reel tape.  I have the cd version and it sounds very good.

Offline sbugala

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2015, 02:41:19 AM »
I got an imported pressing of the BSO lp, and I think it's a good performance. The cowbell passages are particularly beautiful. I kinda hope that RCA releases a Leinsdorf boxed set and includes it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk