Author Topic: Solti/LSO/Decca M2 CD (single disc) will be released on 6/11/07  (Read 5254 times)

Offline John Kim

Recording Information

The music of Mahler was a regular part of Solti's repertory both in the concert hall and in the recording studio and it was in the 1960s that Solti first made recordings of music by Mahler and this, his first account of the mighty Second Symphony was among the first. It is released here for the first time as a single CD and the original Gramophone review [by the eminent Mahler scholar and musicologist Deryck Cooke] greeted the release of the LPs very enthusiastically:

"... the new Decca stereo recording has special points of excellence all its own. The most striking thing in the whole performance, for me, is the first movement, in which Solti penetrates to the inner significance of the unusual structure with an insight I have never encountered before. The short movement for contralto is treated sensitiviely. Helen Watts sings beautifully. The vast finale ... usually comes off almost automatically ... Solti builds it up impressively ... chorus, orchestra and soloists leave nothing to be desired ... the stereo recording is one of Decca's best... bringing off perfectly all the different perspectives of the off-stage brass. The early unison calls are certainly "in the far distance"; the marching band music is indeed "scarcely perceptible" and then "getting nearer"; the later fanfares for the four trumpets are electrifyingly "much nearer"; ... we have surely the sound Mahler must have imagined, according to his meticulous indications."

Gramophone

Decca The Originals 4758501

This was my first encounter with the work and I still love it very much. Solti maximizes Mahler's three dimensional, theatrical effects by emphasizing every instrumental line in vivid details. He goes for diversified, rather than unified, sound in this work, and the result is a unique Resurrection symphony that sounds like no other version. The only downside is that I can't hear the organ at the end (well, if there was indeed organ I still can't hear it only old LP). Let's hope that Decca engineers have boosted the organ sound in this remastering.

John,

P.S> 6/11 is English release date.

Offline Damfino

Re: Solti/LSO/Decca M2 CD (single disc) will be released on 6/11/07
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 08:22:31 PM »
This Solti recording was my first encounter with the work as well, and it sort of colors my expectations today.  I agree about the organ at the end.  I have the 2-disc version that is coupled with the First Symphony, and my ears cannot discern the organ if it is there.

Although the alto gets the lion's share of attention in the 2nd, I feel that the wrong soprano can also ruin the work, as her part is involved some of the most beautiful moments near the end.  Sweet-voiced Heather Harper is on hand in this recording and does a splendid job.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 04:29:18 AM »
I don't remember it in much detail, but I remember liking it. I remember that the gongs stick out a lot, which I like. My favorite M2 with the LSO is probably the Stokowski. But none of them are a dud, really.

I'd like to see them issue the Solti/LSO M9 on a single disc. The first three movements are great.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
I'd like to see them issue the Solti/LSO M9 on a single disc. The first three movements are great.

They did. On Eloquence in Europe. Available through various online stores, for example http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/hnum/7340571/rk/home/rsk/hitlist

Freddy

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 07:29:48 AM »
"Solti bashers need not read on."

One can be a "Solti basher", and still acknowledge that much of his early recorded work was pretty darn good. But there's no question that he wasn't the same conductor in the latter '80s and '90s. Even more tangible, there's no question that the Solti/Chicago relationship became stale and had run it's course - long before it was over with. Neither will anyone convince me that he was ever a great conductor of Bruckner's music. I acknowledge that his earlier LSO "Resurrection" - along with his LSO M9 - are among his best recorded efforts. The '80s Chicago remakes of both symphonies are nowhere near as good.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2007, 03:33:35 AM »
I feel responsilbe for leading another happy listener into financial ruin!    :'(

Offline Leo K

• You're the best Angie
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2007, 05:07:34 AM »
Barry, you and my wallet ought to get married!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk