Author Topic: My recent trip to all three Mahler composing huts.  (Read 5187 times)

Offline Toblacher

My recent trip to all three Mahler composing huts.
« on: August 30, 2016, 01:30:09 PM »
We were in Toblach ten years ago in mid-July at the start of the MahlerFest concerts when they always do a symphony at the first concert.  I highly recommend this exact time for anyone considering at trip to Toblach.  This time (for various reasons) we went in August.  BIG MISTAKE.  The town was overun by Italians on vacation (the whole country is on vacation in August) and you would hardly know you are in a German-speaking area.  I was able to catch the GM Youth Orchestra doing the Bruckner 9.  The hut seems untouched from a hundred years ago, which in a way is nice.  The surrounding area with the animal park (and kids running around) is a bit distracting. 

The Meirnigg composing hut was a bit of a disappointment.  First, it was closed, it is only unlocked a few hours a day for a few days a week.  It is a long (10-15 minutes) hike up a heavily wooded trail.  If there was a trail down to the Worthersee from the hut, it is now overgrown and inaccessable.  The lakefront house seems a long way from the hut and can only be viewed from the road above it.  All the houses along the lake road are chain-linked fenced-off, the owners are not interested in any "Mahler visitors".  I guess you have to rent a boat to view the house from the lake. 

The Steinbach hut is very well kept.  You get the key from the Fottinger Hotel (where GM stayed) front desk and it's an easy five minute walk down to the Attersee (through a trailer-park!).  The hut is immaculate with lots of exhibits inside, his piano, a message book for visitors, and even a speaker played the M3!  The immediate surrounding area is well maintained with nice landscaping.  The hotel even has some Mahler souvenirs for sale.

I'd gladly answer any questions anyone may have.

Offline barry guerrero

Re: My recent trip to all three Mahler composing huts.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:28:55 PM »
Gilbert Kaplan was responsible for the current, improved state of the Steinbach hut. I'd like to know more about the Mahler souvenirs - did you buy any?

To get a better look at the Meirnigg locale, take a look at MTT's "Keeping Score" dvd on Mahler. He got 'special permission' to visit the house. Jump to the 5:30 mark on the link below - that gives a view.

According to one Youtube video I watched, the Toblach hut is in pretty bad disrepair. Did you get that impression?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oylYeif-TLA

Offline Toblacher

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 11:37:28 PM »
The Fottinger Hotel only sold mugs with GM's picture and under it saying "Gustav Mahler in Steinbach, 1893-1896".  I suppose you could shoot them an email inquiring about purchasing one. 

As far as the Toblach hut is concerned, nothing has been done to "restore" it, but it is not what I would call in bad disrepair.  As I stated in my original post, I think that's what makes it charming.  In fact, it has a rather unique door handle that is probably the original one from GM's time! I think everyone's concern is that an all-wood hut in a wooded area can be in danger of fire.  (The other two huts are concrete).

Offline AZContrabassoon

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 11:59:08 PM »
That sounds like a wonderful trip. I've been to Austria three times and have never managed to get those composing huts in. Grinzing cemetery, yes. Thanks for the description and reminding everyone that the worst month of the year to visit Europe is August.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 05:38:00 PM »
Thanks for the further info. I'll check into that Mahler mug, but it probably wouldn't worth the expense. I'd like to go to Toblach (Dobbacio).

Offline Andrew-Kenneth

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 08:36:02 PM »
A couple of months ago I bought "Mahler Symphony X Recomposed" by english sampling artist Matthew Herbert.
(Herbert used samples of the Sinopoli M10 Adagio)

Part of this disc was recorded inside and near the Toblach hut.

https://www.amazon.de/Recomposed-Matthew-Herbert-Mahler-Symphonie/dp/B003MHOMMU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1472674671&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=mahler+x+herbert

review => http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/arts/music/26herbert.html?_r=0

This Mahler curio can be heard in it's entirety on you-tube =>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4M1i1freh4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk