Author Topic: Forthcoming Event - "Mahler - the Mind and the Music  (Read 6118 times)

Offline Penny

Forthcoming Event - "Mahler - the Mind and the Music
« on: December 12, 2016, 09:26:20 AM »
Dear all, I know I haven’t posted for a while, but would like to bring the attention of the readership to a forthcoming event, to take place in Birmingham UK, which I hope will be of interest: -

‘Mahler – the Mind and the Music’   A Study Day
Saturday 18 March 2017  11.30 to 4.30
 John Lee Theatre,  Birmingham and Midland Institute
Margaret Street, Birmingham B3 3BS
 (A joint event between Birmingham and Midland Institute and the Gustav Mahler Society UK)
On the 26th August 1910 Gustav Mahler, by then an established conductor, composer and formerly Director of the Vienna Court Opera, plagued by anxieties over his marriage, arrived in Leiden in Holland to seek a consultation with Sigmund Freud, who was on holiday there. Initially in his rooms, the meeting then resumed on a walk around the town which occupied at least 5 hours which Freud afterwards described as a ‘fascinating encounter with this outstanding musician’.
The study day will focus on some of the relevant episodes in Mahler’s career, the complexities of his inner life and his relationship with others in particular his wife Alma and how this is reflected in his music. Following a showing of the film ‘ Mahler on the Couch’, a dramatic depiction of the meeting with Freud, our speaker, Professor Peter Franklin, will share his thoughts on this subject, referring in particular to some of Mahler’s later works. There will be an opportunity to give your views, ask questions and hopefully enhance your understanding of Mahler and his music.
This event is the first one in 2017 to be organised by GMS in the North and Midlands, a group within the Gustav Mahler Society UK, that aims to increase the appreciation of Mahler and his music especially for people outside London. All are welcome.
Tickets (lunch and refreshment included) £ 15 (GMS UK members) £16 (non members) and £12(students) are available from the BMI  Tel: 0121 236 3591 or visit www.mahlerandthemind.eventbrite.co.uk
Further information can be obtained from Penny Young GMS N&M Secretary on
07751 444747 or at Penelope Young <penelope52@tesco.net> 

Offline barry guerrero

Re: Forthcoming Event - "Mahler - the Mind and the Music
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2016, 06:14:33 PM »
I like Franklin's book - it should be quite interesting to hear him on Mahler.

From the standpoint of 'relationships' between men and women, I think a more interesting question is why the rejection of Natalie Bauer-Lechner (?)   .    .    .  I think it was purely a matter of youth and looks (Alma), combined with the fact that Natalie cozied up to Mahler's sister a bit too much. There was a bit too much familiarity there. Greatly to Mahler's undoing, he set his expectations way too high.

He wanted a traditional wife who would stay home, cook and raise the kids (and yes, she did have help with that), yet hop on a train at a moment's notice to be with him at a concert of his music many hours away. He had her copy out parts, check for mistakes, and expected Alma to understand and agree with him on ALL matters pertaining to music, literature, philosophy, theology, metaphysics - you name it. I would have dumped him too!!

There's been a tendency to elevate Mahler to sainthood, but that does nobody any good as it denies the contradictions and complexities of a brilliant and driven artist.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 06:50:16 AM by barry guerrero »

Offline Penny

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »
Hmmm... I suspect that Natalie, who would have been the sensible, "logical" choice, just didn't "do it" for him, much as he liked her and appreciated her as a friend.  Like most men, Mahler preferred younger women, but arguably he was too old for Alma. 

Alma wasn't really cut out to be a housewife though.  She was much too used to being admired, and couldn't settle for the type of domesticity that Mahler required of her, and just to be what he needed - she needed to be her own person.  I more than suspect that his upbringing led him to take for granted that a wife's duty was entirely that, and that she should have no needs of her own.  He found out the truth far too late, and very painfully, as we know. 

It's interesting to note though, that although she was widowed quite young, she never really returned to composition. 

I agree that neither of them were saints, and that both of them were flawed characters, as aren't we all, geniuses and ordinary people alike. 

Offline Ryanscott

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2017, 12:54:47 PM »
My life, the need to take cognizance of this. This is what made me come into play on this site.

Offline barry guerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2017, 05:13:49 PM »
Yeah, well, what happened to Mahler could happen to ANY modern couple. It happens all the time. Remember, nearly half of all marriages end in failure.  :'(

;)  Just kidding, Ryanscott. Welcome aboard.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk