General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

OK, here's what I did with the Abbado/BPO M6 . . .

<< < (3/3)

Amphissa:
I wonder if I'm a purist. I don't think I am. I rather like some of Stokowski's transcriptions. And I like Ravel's orchestration of Pictures, and Respighi's orchestration of Rachmaninoff's piano music. And I don't have any moral conflict with completions of the 10th, even if I don't find any of them completely convincing. In fact, the idea that I rather like Stokowski and Furtwangler and even Scherchen would suggest that I'm not really a purist.

The greatest evidence that I am not a purist comes withg the music of Tchaikovsky. I typically love the first three movements of Tchaikovsky symphonies - and detest the final movement. In most cases (like the 4th), it is because it degenerates into cheap bombastic schlock. (Of course, the 6th is different, because it isn't bombastic, it's just cheap schlock.) Which is all very sad, because he wrote some truly exquisite music. So I usually program my CD player to skip the final movement of Tchaikovsky's symphonies.  :o

And I'll confess, I generally skip Part I of M8, because I really only like Part II.

So, I think I'll try the idea of listening to the M6 without the scherzo. But I'm not optimistic. That still leaves a movement of marching, plus the segment in the final movement.

Maybe I should just copy the M6 Andante onto a disc with the M10 Adagio and Blumine and M8 Part II.  ;D

barry guerrero:
"So, I think I'll try the idea of listening to the M6 without the scherzo. But I'm not optimistic. That still leaves a movement of marching, plus the segment in the final movement."

Nahhh; why torment yourself? Just make the scherzo the first movement. It's half as long, and marches in 3/4 time.

"Maybe I should just copy the M6 Andante onto a disc with the M10 Adagio and Blumine and M8 Part II".

Funny, I was thinking of some Franken-Mahlers on the way to work. How 'bout, fourth movement of M9; finale of M2; Rondo-Burlesque; Purgatorio?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version