Author Topic: OT: In praise of French music  (Read 4818 times)

Offline barryguerrero

OT: In praise of French music
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:33:32 AM »
Anyone else really enjoy the French repertoire?   .    .    .   I've been listening to the usual suspects of Ravel, Debussy, Faure, Satie, Berlioz, Chabrier, Bizet, Saint-Saens, Roussel, Poulenc, etc. I want to get to know Massenet's non-operatic music a bit better. About the most 'far out' I get with the French are Messiaen and Dutilleux. Most of Boulez's works are over my head - or they just don't appeal to me. I've never cared much for Magnard, although his life story sure is interesting! What about Sauguet?   .    .    .  can somebody clue me on his work.

I'm open to suggestions for 'off the beaten path' French works that are still listenable. In early music, I really do like Lully and Rameau. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:39:03 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline AZContrabassoon

Re: OT: In praise of French music
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:30:16 AM »
There's a vast amount of music outside the realm of the familiar French composers you might seek out. I'm really fond of the music of Florent Schmitt. His orchestral style is exotic, opulent, and colorful. I really like his writing. Other composers whose orchestral work I enjoy:

Charles Tournamire, a contemporary of Ravel, wrote wonderfully evocative symphonies. Marco Polo recorded a number of them. Masterful use of the orchestra. Very dramatic and fluent music. Try the first symphony to get a taste.

Charles Marie Widor - several of his symphonic works have been released lately - they're terrific. Concise and exciting.

Joseph Canteloube - the songs from the Auvergne are amazing. Bailero alone makes him immortal.

Charles Koechlin is an acquired taste perhaps. The Jungle Book and Seven Stars Symphonies are certainly interesting and unique.

Paul Paray was not only a fine conductor, but a fine composer. Try the symphonies.

Jules Massenet wrote a bunch of suites that are on two terrific Naxos disks, and the suite from Le Cid is a natural for anyone who likes Carmen.

A lot of modern French composers I can't stand to listen to: Varese, Boulez, Tansman - too ugly. No heart. Sauget and Poot are certainly professional and all that, but not my favorite. Some Poulenc is terrific, some I can live without.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
There's a vast amount of music outside the realm of the familiar French composers you might seek out. I'm really fond of the music of Florent Schmitt. His orchestral style is exotic, opulent, and colorful. I really like his writing. Other composers whose orchestral work I enjoy:

Charles Tournamire, a contemporary of Ravel, wrote wonderfully evocative symphonies. Marco Polo recorded a number of them. Masterful use of the orchestra. Very dramatic and fluent music. Try the first symphony to get a taste.

Charles Marie Widor - several of his symphonic works have been released lately - they're terrific. Concise and exciting.

Joseph Canteloube - the songs from the Auvergne are amazing. Bailero alone makes him immortal.

Charles Koechlin is an acquired taste perhaps. The Jungle Book and Seven Stars Symphonies are certainly interesting and unique.

Paul Paray was not only a fine conductor, but a fine composer. Try the symphonies.

Jules Massenet wrote a bunch of suites that are on two terrific Naxos disks, and the suite from Le Cid is a natural for anyone who likes Carmen.

A lot of modern French composers I can't stand to listen to: Varese, Boulez, Tansman - too ugly. No heart. Sauget and Poot are certainly professional and all that, but not my favorite. Some Poulenc is terrific, some I can live without.
Some of these sound very interesting. Thanks for Mr. Bassoon. On another note, I also enjoyed the Korngold operas you mentioned awhile ago.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 06:45:48 PM »
Thank you. Some of these I'm familiar with, such as F. Schmitt's "Tragedy of Salome" and Koechlin's "Jungle Book". I was wondering about Paul Paray's writing. I wasn't aware that Widor wrote for anything other than organ, so I'll check those out too.

Also, I very much like J. Ibert's works. Good stuff.

Barry
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 07:49:38 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline akiralx

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2017, 11:39:05 PM »
I recommend the Dukas symphony.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 01:20:46 AM »
Thank you. I know I've heard, but I should check it out again. I've played the brass fanfare from "La Peri" many times.

Settembrini

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 12:22:51 PM »
Try the Dukas Piano Sonata as well, it's one of the great masterpieces of the repertoire and virtually unkwon outside France. The Chausson Symphony is a masterpiece, as is his incomplete String Quartet. Louis Vierne is known primarily as an organ composer, but his Piano Quintet is a deeple tragic and deeply beautiful work, in the tradtion of the great César Franck Quintet.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:54 PM »
I'd suggest Andre Jolivet. He's distinctive and interesting.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2017, 06:05:28 PM »
Yes, I forgot about Jolivet. I only know his trumpet concerto (Marsalis), which I really like. Thanks - I'll explore Jolivet further.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 08:50:40 AM »
Two incredible works by Jolivet:

1. Concerto for Ondes Martenot and Orchestre - be sure to check out the last movement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfhAKLUp_LE

2. Bassoon concerto (apparently well known among bassoonists)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHCD5O3W54
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 09:28:26 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk