Author Topic: dvd of M2 w/ Gatti/Amsterdam Concertgebouw (yes, I like it)  (Read 4033 times)

Offline barryguerrero

dvd of M2 w/ Gatti/Amsterdam Concertgebouw (yes, I like it)
« on: November 21, 2017, 02:46:49 AM »
OK, we've already been down this path, with much debate over whether or not Gatti is a good successor for the Amsterdam Concertgebouw. My vote is unequivocally 'yes'. I picked up the straight dvd of their Mahler 2 and liked it very much. I think the first four movements are excellent - as good as you'll hear them anywhere. Any controversy will come in the 39 minute finale, where Gatti treats it as a symphony within a symphony.

There are huge contrasts of tempi in the finale and that makes for - at the very least - interesting listening (and, for me, a very moving experience). Gatti's 'interpretation' of the "Resurrection" moment is on a more personal level - less of a public statement than usual, I feel. Whether Mahler would have liked it done this way or not is quite debatable. But there's no denying that it's simply not the same-old, cookie cutter approach to the work that Amsterdam audiences have become so accustomed to.  Gatti brings something new and fresh to the table and, for the moment, that's good enough for me. The playing of the Concertgebouw Orchestra under Gatti simply couldn't be any better or more 'committed'. The camera work is excellent; always taking one exactly where the action is in the orchestra.

Offline John Kim

Re: dvd of M2 w/ Gatti/Amsterdam Concertgebouw (yes, I like it)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 05:39:42 AM »
The playing and sound are outstanding and I.-IV. are excellent in ways the previous RCO directors Haitink and Chailly weren't. But I find the Finale lacking cogency, especially in the final coda. Here, Gatti's stop & go treat robs the music of its continuity and flow.  But like Barry says, it's nice change from Haitink and Chailly's era.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2017, 07:46:01 AM »
"But like Barry says, it's nice change from Haitink and Chailly's era"

Sorry, but I was thinking more Jansons (not a fan!). Not only was much of his Amsterdam Mahler quite dull, but his recordings of very standard rep. with the RCOA were incredibly dull and cookie cutter-ish. I like the older Haitink stuff and much of what Chailly did was quite good (not all of it, of course).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 08:09:11 AM »
Yes, Jansons too.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 12:57:22 PM »
Finally! Some support.
I almost started to think I was out of my mind to like this. I've read so many negative reviews about this concert (I was there and I loved it!!).

Cheers!
Freddy

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:56:29 PM »
Even if one thinks that it's TOO 'interpretative'wayward, they have to admit that the orchestra plays its collective brains out (much stronger horns than usual!), and that Gatti isn't offering the same-old, "this is how Mahler goes", routine. Both Haitink and Jansons took that approach; and, of those two, I found that I usually liked Haitink more.

I have a 'pirate' of the Gatti/RCOA M3 and I think it's fabulous. Hugely more interesting than the Jansons.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 12:46:33 PM »
Even if one thinks that it's TOO 'interpretative'wayward, they have to admit that the orchestra plays its collective brains out (much stronger horns than usual!), and that Gatti isn't offering the same-old, "this is how Mahler goes", routine.

Exactly what I meant, about a year ago, when I wrote that Gatti made the orchestra play outside of its comfort zone, and all of us (conductor, orchestra and audience) were rewarded with a far more interesting performance of the 2nd than I had heard in years.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk