Author Topic: Vanska/Minnesota/BIS M6 should come Feb. 2018  (Read 2991 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Vanska/Minnesota/BIS M6 should come Feb. 2018
« on: November 24, 2017, 09:32:12 PM »
An 'inside source' has assured me that the Vaenska/M.S.O./BIS Mahler 6 is due up soon, most likely February. Personally, I can't wait to give this a spin.

Offline John Kim

Re: Vanska/Minnesota/BIS M6 should come Feb. 2018
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2017, 08:49:31 PM »
I seem to have heard they've already recorded M6 and M2 to be released.

I have yet to hear the M5th though.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2017, 04:59:32 PM »
His 5th is somewhat controversial - it's a polarizing account. I think his M6 will be more 'straight forward'.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:19:31 PM »
I like the Vanska M5th, quite a lot! It is only controversial in details. I find the overall concept - interpretation - not so controversial, save for the Adagietto.

John

Offline Ennos

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 03:25:19 PM »
His 5th is somewhat controversial - it's a polarizing account. I think his M6 will be more 'straight forward'.

I hope your source is correct, Barry! I can't wait. By the way, what do you mean by "straight forward?"

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »
Well, let's put it this way: the 5th symphony is the one that requires the most 'intervention' on the conductor's part. That is to say, it requires the most 'gear changes' - tempo modifications within a movement - of any of the Mahler symphonies. Vanska did some 'unusual' things in regards to tempo relationships within movements, although most of what he did worked just fine for me (such as the start of the second movement). There will be less opportunity for him to be quite so controversial with the 6th symphony, although the trio sections of the scherzo movement do require precise conducting of the various meter changes (alternating two and three beat patterns), as well as sudden shifts of tempi that are indicated in the score. 

Vanska's 12.5 minute timing for the Adagietto in M5 ruffled a lot of feathers. I would have preferred a shorting timing myself, although I found it interesting for a change. The same people won't say a word if Vanska drags out the slow movement of M6 to 17 or 18 minutes, although it's clearly marked "andante moderato" (with no mention of "langsam" anywhere).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk