Author Topic: Forthcoming, New Releases & Reissues 2018  (Read 8728 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Forthcoming, New Releases & Reissues 2018
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2018, 09:34:28 AM »
Thank you very much for posting these. I'm very interested to hear the Currentzis M6 and Adam Fischer's M3. Looks like the fall season is off to a good start.

By the way, I picked up and very much like the Gatti/Concertgebouw M4. It may be overall favorite one now.

Offline Prospero

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2018, 01:55:15 PM »
For those interested the Canadian Immortal Performances label has just issued rare Bruno Walter recordings including a 1948 NY Phil Mahler 2. Text is in English as was the trend in those days under the shadow of WW2. Henry Fogel in Fanfare writes that this “seems to me to be by far Walter’s most dramatic and fiery Mahler Second performance to survive.”

There is a powerful 1942 Walter NY Phil 2 on Music and Arts and another 1948 Vienna performance on an out of print Andante box that includes the live DLvdE with Ferrier and Patzak from 1952, the day before the famous Decca/London recording.

Maybe not for everyone’s taste but a healthy reminder of the long history of Mahler performances before the Bernstein era. And at least six conductors who worked with Mahler directly all with different approaches.

With clear, low distortion reproducing equipment there is notable detail as well as overall performance preserved in good historic recordings. 

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2018, 04:02:40 PM »
Thank you. It's unfortunate that Walter's legendary Chicago performance of M2 wasn't preserved. I'm sure Henry Fogel's assessment is spot on.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk