Author Topic: Mahler 10 Event with Colin Matthews, Manchester UK Saturday 3.3.18.  (Read 2732 times)

Offline Penny

I thought some readers might be interested to know of an upcoming event I’m helping to organise: -
The Gustav Mahler Society UK in the North and Midlands will present a talk by Colin Matthews on his contribution to the creation of a Performance Version of Mahler’s 10th Symphony (realised by Deryck Cooke) on Saturday 3rd of March 2018 at The Royal Northern College of Music, 124 Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9RD, in the Conference Room.  Tickets £16.50 GMS members, £17.50 non-members, £15.50 students. 
12.30 Arrive, register for 13.00 Start. Ends 15.30 approx. Interval Tea/Coffee provided. Tickets from the RNCM Box Office on 0161 907 5555 or online. The talk will be followed by a short recital of arranged Mahler songs by The Prima Wind Quintet who appear by kind permission of the RNCM.  This promises to be a really good day. Tell your friends and be there!
Please see the Gustav Mahler Society UK in the North and Midlands Facebook page for further details.  Some of us are staying on in the evening for a performance of Mahler 1 at the Bridgewater Hall – box office 0161 907 9000 or online.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Mahler 10 Event with Colin Matthews, Manchester UK Saturday 3.3.18.
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:26:09 AM »
Thank you Penny. If one listens to the complete concert performance that Berthold Goldschmidt gave, it's clear that Goldschmidt greatly contributed to the orchestration of Cooke's 10th (to me it is, anyway). If you feel inclined (and it wouldn't be controversial in some way), would you mind asking Mr. Mathews if he knows just what specifically Goldschmidt had done. I rather doubt that Cooke had any real orchestration experience himself. Thanks.

Barry

Offline Penny

Re: Mahler 10 Event with Colin Matthews, Manchester UK Saturday 3.3.18.
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16:00 PM »
Ok thanks Barry I'll try to do that!
Penny

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk