Author Topic: D. Harding/Swedish R.S.O. M9 on Harmonia Mundi (excerpts)  (Read 3242 times)

Offline barryguerrero

D. Harding/Swedish R.S.O. M9 on Harmonia Mundi (excerpts)
« on: January 31, 2018, 04:03:14 PM »
Good sound quality! I guess Harmonia Mundi is getting serious about Mahler. I used to think that Harding was a Simon Rattle clone, but I think he's become his person - for the better.

https://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/symphony-no-9/hnum/8043154

I love the font for the cover, which is totally superficial on my part  (but you still have to look at it!). I'm sick of recordings with the conductor's mug on the front.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:09:44 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

Re: D. Harding/Swedish R.S.O. M9 on Harmonia Mundi (excerpts)
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:03:42 PM »
The excerpts sound really good indeed!

Thanks.

Settembrini

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 04:00:39 PM »
I agree about the front cover. Harmonia Mundi's cover art is always great. The Swedish RSO sounded like a less than inspired group on Harding's recent Wagner cd with Goerne, I hope they sound better here, but these excerpts don't bode well.

Offline Russell

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 10:47:08 PM »
The high-res (48/24) download is now available, and is currently on sale at eClassical for just $14:

http://www.eclassical.com/harmonia-mundi/mahler-symphony-no-9.html

Russell

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2018, 07:12:31 PM »
My brief review:

"A really good Mahler Ninth from Daniel Harding and Swedish radio Orchestra, expressive (in particular the strings), cohesive, and thrilling, even though the orchestra is not of world class. Timpani and cymbal are weak throughout but the woodwinds are strong and characterful.

Harding captures the autumnal....zen like, self effacing elements of the opening movt very well. The ending of I. is as serene and touching as I can hope for. But the climaxes are somewhat rushed. II. is vigorously projected, III. fast and virtuosic with woodwinds again in their top form. Finale is perhaps Harding's finest movement. It is slow but not too so (26'23") and the Swedish strings really dig in and settle in. The last 10 min. is done in a true pianissimo with extraordinarily hushed tone sliding ever so calmly into the eternity of resignation, peace, and another world."

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2018, 08:29:48 PM »
I listened to the first movement climax on Spotify. Not bad, but not fabulous either. I'll check out the last two movements tonight or Friday night. Yes, the sound quality is very good.

« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 11:46:10 PM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk