Author Topic: OT: Schubert  (Read 3131 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

OT: Schubert
« on: February 19, 2018, 08:28:19 PM »
Lately I've been exploring Schubert, and it's a revelation. I've loved some of his music for many years, but recently I've been enjoying some less familiar pieces, as well as hearing some of the old favorites with a fresh approach. In his own way, I think he was as revolutionary as Beethoven.

His works tend to move in a different time scale; some movements are quite long, but I find that they reward patient listening. As an example, at times I used to think that the finale of the Ninth Symphony spends a long time on autopilot, an impression that can be reinforced if all the symphony's repeats are observed. But now, I find it a work of incredible genius, and when he does ratchet up the tension in the last few minutes, the release is cathartic.

I will also mention the String Quintet D 956, written in the last months of his life, and, I believe, his last work. Sections are otherworldly, almost literally in the sense that the gravely ill composer seemed to feel himself being drawn to another realm. The slow movement, with time-stands-still serenity punctuated by a turbulent episode, is one of the glories of the repertory. The vigorous Scherzo calms for a hushed and ethereal trio section, and even the finale has mysterious episodes before ending on an emphatic minor second.

Great stuff!

Offline barryguerrero

Re: OT: Schubert
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 11:22:19 PM »
The double cello quintet has to be counted among the very greatest chamber works, ever. As I'm sure you know, Mahler made a string orchestra enlargement of the "Death and the Maiden" quartet. The "Trout" quintet is very enjoyable as well.

Mahler also made one of his 'retuschen' for the Schubert 9th. I've heard it and it's quite good. I agree about the repeats: there should be no repeats in the scherzo or finale. I think his repeats are tedious in the longer piano sonatas as well.

Since I like the horn (French horn), I like the song "auf dem Strom" quite a bit. "Erlkonig" and "die Hirt aus dem Felsen" are also top notch.

Another really good Schubert symphony is no. 6, the "Little C Major". I've never been a big fan of no. 5. The early ones are all better than one might think.

On the whole, I would say that I'm a bigger fan of Schumann. Some say that his piano works aren't that great, but I don't quite agree. I've always liked "Kinderszenen", and the "Symphonic Etudes" are very good as well. Schumann has chamber music that perhaps doesn't reach the same heights as Schubert's best ones, but I think they're more consistent, taken as a whole. The Schumann symphonies need no boosting from me, although there are only four of them. Perhaps more than anything, I'm a big fan of the "Konzertstuck" for Four Horns - one of Schumann's personal favorites as well.

All that said, my favorite mid to late romantic composer is Dvorak. Here was a man who was consistently good, if not great, in ALL genres (including opera).

Offline Prospero

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 12:46:46 AM »
The three great final piano sonatas.

The piano impromptus.

The incomparable song cycles: Die Schöne Müllerin and Die Winterreise. Surely some of the greaest music ever composed.

Innumerable songs. Over 600.

The final symphonies.

Quartets, quintets.

Perhaps the greatest composer of melodies ever.

On and on.

And all by the age of 31.

Tom in Vermont

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 02:17:59 AM »
Yes, Prospero, an incredible body of work for someone whose life was cut short so early.

In the Ninth, I have recordings ranging from 44 minutes to 63. Since tempos don't vary all that much, the difference is mostly in the repeats. Munch/BSO zips through the Scherzo in less than eight minutes, compared to Johannes Wildner at over 17. I really don't mind the repeat in the finale.

Schumann is a most interesting composer. I'm especially fond of the second and third symphonies. He is often accused of incompetent orchestration, but Thomas Dausgaard observed when played with a smaller orchestra, the balance and thickness problems just disappear. With recording technology, even a larger ensemble can make a transparent sound.

Just last night I played the Jennifer Koh/Reiko Uchida CD of Schumann's violin sonatas. All three are very strong works that will reward further exploration.

And yes, Barry, I'm a huge fan of Dvorák. In grade school band we played an arrangement of the finale of the "New World"; I started listening to my dad's LP of the Reiner/CSO recording and that was the beginning of my passion for classical music. Dvorák was a late bloomer, and some of his early music lacks that stamp of originality, but when he was hot, he was really hot.

The three works written or drafted at Spillville, Iowa, in the summer of 1893 are Dvorák at his best (New World, "American" quartet, quintet op. 97). I am also a big fan of the four symphonic poems based on Erben, and I'm glad to see they are finally getting some traction in the repertory.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 05:53:12 AM »
"I am also a big fan of the four symphonic poems based on Erben"  .   .    .   

Incredible pieces - proto Mahler, as is Tchaikovsky's "Manfred".  Mahler himself conducted "The Wood Dove" and "Hero's Song" (op. 111)

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 06:16:51 AM »
Fun fact: In the course of my travels, I've stayed at Spillville twice, at a pleasant B&B. Dvorák played the organ at St. Wenceslaus. On the grounds is a cemetery with beautiful metal grave markers.

The house where the composer and his family stayed is a museum. The first floor features clock enclosures made by a pair of bachelor farmers; the second floor displays Dvorák memorabilia.

The town has a lovely riverside park with a bandstand. According to lore, Dvorák would take buckets of beer to enjoy at the river.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:05 AM »
"Dvorák would take buckets of beer to enjoy at the river"

Haydn and Dvorak - two gods in my book.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2018, 06:21:54 AM »
I read that Mahler himself liked Spaten. I feel obligated to order it if it's on the menu.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2018, 07:13:12 PM »
That would be weird, because I've had many gallons of Spaten over the years. It's the official beer of the Chico Bavarian Band, which I've been a member of since the mid 1980's. We still play the big three-day Oktoberfest in San Francisco. Once when we were in Munich, I had several litres of  Spaten at "Brotzeit" held atop the big Spaten tower (with a great view of Munich and the local Alps).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk