Author Topic: ? for John Kim re: Mahler 9  (Read 2891 times)

Offline barryguerrero

? for John Kim re: Mahler 9
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:26:43 PM »
John, do have an opinion as to what your favorite single disc Mahler 9 is? I have the Haitink/BRSO one, but I'm wondering where you'd place the Daniel Harding one (I like what I've heard).

Barry

Offline John Kim

Re: ? for John Kim re: Mahler 9
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 11:13:13 PM »
Barry,

May I surprise you?

Currently, My favorite single disc M9th is ... Jansons/BRSO. I know David didn't like it much and neither did I at first. But it has grown on me so much over the period so that it now takes the crown in my collection. What I really like about this recording is the orchestra; I've never heard an orchestra playing the work so tuned and so perfectly balanced as BRSO in this recording. It's not just a matter of ensemble and balance but also how much the players are tuned into the music. It is as if each player is listening to others as they play their parts and find a perfect way to deliver the work collectively as well as individually. As for the interpretation, Jansons is non-nonsense, middle of the road, but his vision is very likable overall; it's never too intense but it's never tame or dull either, it is rational and sensible and very musical. I like the Haitink/BRSO version a lot too. It's the same orchestra so that's not surprising. Haitink is touch more intense in the climaxes than Jansons and this orchestra may be slightly more refined. Also, the orchestra sounds more distant than in the Jansons.

John

I have heard the Harding but it needs to be seasoned. I think Harding does very well in zen-like, soft passages, but the Swedish Orchestra sounds less than stellar in loud passages.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:08:24 AM »
OK, thanks.

Offline Kaikagaga

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2018, 09:33:03 AM »
John, do have an opinion as to what your favorite single disc Mahler 9 is? I have the Haitink/BRSO one, but I'm wondering where you'd place the Daniel Harding one (I like what I've heard).

Barry
The opinion of the above is considered a good answer.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk