Author Topic: another ? re: Mahler 9 for John Kim  (Read 4007 times)

Offline barryguerrero

another ? re: Mahler 9 for John Kim
« on: March 13, 2018, 07:49:12 PM »
John, I know you were (are) a fan of the early Solti/L.S.O. M9. Since it's now been issued on Eloquence, where would you rate that one?

I like having Mahler 9 on a single disc. If it's on two discs, I don't like it broken up between the second movement and the Rondo-Burlesque. My ideal is to have it the way it was on DG's original issue of Abbado's VPO M9:  M10 Adagio and first movement of M9 on disc 1 (so one can compare and contrast those two monumental first movements), and the rest of M9 on disc two. I don't like having the M10 Adagio after the finale of Mahler 9,

By the way, I do like the single disc, budget priced reissue of the Abbado/VPO M9.

Offline John Kim

Re: another ? re: Mahler 9 for John Kim
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 08:11:26 PM »
Barry,

I have several CD versions of the Solti/LSO M9th. The best is a Japanese issue that comes with the original Decca jacket cover. The sound is quite improved thanks to the Japanese engineers:

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Mahler-1860-1911_000000000019272/item_Symphony-No-9-Georg-Solti-London-Symphony-Orchestra_5134825

As always, this early Solti led M9th ranks pretty high on my list, right behind Levine/Philadelphia Orch and Bernstein/NYPO/Sony.

I like the single disc of Abbado/VPO M9 too although the flow is not always smooth; Abbado was certainly influenced by Alban Berg at the time of this recording? Abbado/BPO CD is, for me, let down by the inadequate sound quality, especially in I.

Like I said, currently I'm quite occupied with Jansons/BRSO which is also on a single disc.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 09:41:59 PM »
OK, thanks. The Japanese issue of Solti/LSO certainly is priced reasonably.

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 12:09:27 PM »
John,

Is there an SACD or other high-resolution release from Japan of the Solti/LSO M9?

Thanks, Wade

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2018, 07:41:21 PM »
Wade,

No unfortunately. But the Japanese pressing sounds terrific - more details and a higher clarity in a more natural way - thanks to the special treatment they have done during the remastering.

John

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2018, 01:41:30 AM »
I heard the Solti/LSO M9 several years ago, after not having heard it for a couple decades. It was a stark reminder of why I abandoned the original vinyl.

Occasionally, Solti was on fire. His Elgar Second is magnificent. Surprisingly, his Schubert (5, 8 & 9) is very good. But just yesterday I was lamenting how he bludgeoned his way through "Night on the Bare Mountain" with the LSO.

For me, Haitink/BRSO is vastly superior to Jansons/BRSO in M9.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2018, 04:06:52 AM »
Roland,

The Haitink/BRSO M9 may be better recorded than the Jansons/BRSO M9. The Jansons sounds closer and saturated at climaxes and although it is balanced exceptionally well. But Jansons too is recommendable  for its textural clarity and playing. It's a no-nonsense reading but remarkably nuanced and beautifully proportioned. I think overall both M9ths are equally great. I cannot favor one over the other.

As for the Solti M9, it is precisely that abrasive and Straussian nature that made it famous among classical music lovers. Also, Decca's sound was great.

John

Settembrini

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 01:54:00 PM »
I have several CD versions of the Solti/LSO M9th. The best is a Japanese issue that comes with the original Decca jacket cover.

Have you compared it to the Eloquence version, also released last year (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mahler-Georg-Solti-London-Orchestra/dp/B073W7MJPT/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1527515508&sr=1-1&keywords=mahler+9+solti)? And is it really better?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2018, 05:46:33 PM »
I don't have the AUS reissue so cannot compare off hand. But the Japanese pressing was apparently from the direct source material using some special transfer technique and it sounds just like it!

Settembrini

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2018, 07:55:32 PM »
Ah, I see. Thanks! I ordered it today. It's worth it just for the original jacket cover..

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk