Author Topic: to anyone who might be getting the BR Klassik Mahler 1-9 box set  (Read 2871 times)

Offline barryguerrero

If anyone picks up the BR Klassik box set of symphonies 1-9, could you get back to me (us) on the sound quality of the Colin Davis Mahler 8. I'm very curious to know if it might come from a different tape than the RCA issue (doubtful).

It spite of its obvious flaws, the Colin Davis/BRSO is my personal favorite Mahler 8. If his M4 had a better soprano, it would be a favorite as well. And - believe it or not - the Colin Davis "DLvdE" is my personal favorite, but that's because of the incredible contribution of Jesseye Norman.

If all that wasn't weird enough, I'm a big fan of the Colin Davis/BRSO Bruckner 7 - the one where he reverses the two inner movements! (it has a GREAT coda).

Offline John Kim

Re: to anyone who might be getting the BR Klassik Mahler 1-9 box set
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 09:43:41 PM »
I might (or might not) get the set for the sake of the 1st, 3rd, and 4th, all of which I don't have yet, and 8th as well if it is from a different material than the RC release. I bet the Davis M8th is from BRSO's own archive.

Believe me this Jansons/BRSO M2nd is a great one.

The Haitink/BRSO M3rd just won the recording of 2017 by BBC Music Magazine.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 06:36:47 AM »
OK, keep us informed. Thanks.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:44:12 PM »
Sadly, according to www.hmv.co.jp the Davis M8th is from the RCA recording, recorded on July 7-8th 1995.

Sigh ......

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2018, 04:46:45 PM »
Still, I might get the box set for the 1st, 3rd and 6th that I have not purchased yet individually. The 4th (Haitink) is new and was recorded back in 2005.

Offline TkGhoul

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 08:21:06 AM »
Very good information. Thank you very much.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk