Author Topic: Nézet-Séguin M10  (Read 3238 times)

Offline Thomas

Nézet-Séguin M10
« on: June 06, 2018, 11:33:30 AM »
Hi everyone,
I'm looking for a modern recording in good sound of M10. I attended Nézet-Séguin's performance of M10 with the Rotterdam Philharmonic in 2016 and thought it was very beautiful, albeit a bit soft edged (especially when compared to Gielen and Chailly), not unlike Harding on DGG. Anyway, I'm thinking about purchasing Nézet-Séguin's M10 with the Orchestre Métropolitain. Does anyone know it and like, or dislike, it? I hear the Dausgaard recording is quite good, as is Zinman, but I don't really care for the Carpenter completion.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Nézet-Séguin M10
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 03:21:45 PM »
I second endorsements of the Dausgaard/Seattle one for Cooke III.  Of the other 'completions' I like the Samale/Mazzuca version best, which you listen to on Youtube (one movement at a time). I think it might even be on Spotify. Check it out.

N.-S./Rotterdam, live from the Concertgebouw, is now up on Youtube. I presume that that's the performance that will get issued in DG's upcoming 6 cd box set.

Barry

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 07:26:54 PM »
Ditto the Dausgaard/SSO M10th. It's by and large the finest recording of a complete M10th.

I quite like the Harding/VPO too. Other favorite versions are (regardless of the edition),

Ormandy/PO - the classic!
Zinman/TOZ (Carpenter)  - the most beautiful recording!
Litton/DSO (Carpenter)
Rattle/BPO or CBSO
Sanderling/BSO
Olson/PNRSO (Wheeler)

Offline Thomas

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 08:03:40 PM »
Thanks, I'll check out Dausgaard and Zinman (maybe I should just buy the complete Zinman box, I hear great things about it).

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2018, 11:46:12 AM »
What Barry and John said…  ;)

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2018, 05:41:06 PM »
Thomas, I see that we didn't address your question. Personally, I don't care for N.-S.'s Montreal M10 recording. I think the Rotterdam performance on Youtube is better. Hope that helps. Check out the Dausgaard.

Offline Russell

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 05:51:59 PM »
The Rotterdam performance has just been made available as a hi-res download (96/24) at ProStudioMasters (and presumably other sites).  There are also several other YNS/Rotterdam hi-res recordings available (part of a new set, as mentioned in another thread here).

https://www.prostudiomasters.com/album/page/20844

Russell
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 05:58:02 PM by Russell »

Offline Talos

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 04:59:58 PM »
I'm listening to the Orchestre Metropolitan recording right now on Qobuz, and I have also just played the Rotterdam recording (both in 24/96).  I am finding the OM version to be more integrated.  It blends the atonal aspects very nicely with the predominantly melodic and romantic feel of the piece.  I think if you want your M10 sounding like Mahler, it is arguably the most convincing version I have yet heard.  Makes me want to hear more Mahler from YNS.  If possible, listen before buying.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk