Author Topic: M9, again..  (Read 4456 times)

Offline Thomas

M9, again..
« on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:39 PM »
Just a follow up to my earlier thread concerning M9. Unfortunately, Haitink fell on the podium of the Grote Zaal of the Concertgebouw last Friday and wasn't able to conduct the concert on Sunday :-[
His assistent acquitted himself quite admirably, but the overall sentiment was one of disappointment nevertheless..

Anyway, I'm looking into David Zinman's recording of M9 with the Tonhalle. According to a recent thread, people here quite like his complete set. His tempo for the first movement is very slow (30.53). As far as I know, only Giulini (31.45), Sinopoli with Dresden (32.57) and Maazel with the Philharmonia (35.47!, which I haven't heard) are slower still. David Hurwitz didn't care for it very much, but other reviewers are more positive. Any thoughts?

Offline Russ Smiley

Russ Smiley

Offline Thomas

Re: M9, again..
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 05:53:51 PM »
Thanks!

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 09:17:26 PM »
Hey, we got a bit heated there by our standards. But I still stand by something I said: turn the Zinman recordings up. They're all a bit on the low side (recording level).

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:05:35 PM »
Agreed. The Zinman M9th sounds much better at an increased volume.

Offline Prospero

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 02:32:03 PM »
The Haitink Mahler 9 on June 8 was notably more intense and had greater range of sound and emotion than the 2011 BRSO as it appears on the recording. The balance of the high winds against strings and brass brought out a modern tonality that clearly influenced Schoenberg and Berg. And horn, trumpet, and wind solos were astounding as well as the richness and range of the strings. Certain inward passages were played so softly that the sound a few times was on the edge of audibility. An immense performance. Orchestra members were in tears after Haitink's fall.

A recording was made of the June 8 performance for broadcast by Dutch radio.

Sorry for Thomas for June 10, which I also attended. A valiant young attempt, but the first movement was a shambles. Better after as the orchestra adjusted, but a straight forward approach in a most complex work. Understandable under the emergency circumstances.

Walter in 1938 does the first movement in 24:57. The excellent Horenstein 1966 on BBC is 29:55.

Offline BillBurning

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2018, 05:23:17 AM »
Certain inward passages were played so softly that the sound a few times was on the edge of audibility

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk