Author Topic: Nezet-Seguin/Philadelphia M8 may get issued by DG  (Read 3582 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Nezet-Seguin/Philadelphia M8 may get issued by DG
« on: June 01, 2018, 07:36:25 AM »
Hi there. Nezet-Seguin signed an exclusive extension of his contract with Deutsche Grammophon. One of the items listed is the Philadelphia Mahler 8! We can only hope.

Also mentioned is the completion of his Rachmaninoff cycle, hopefully including the "Symphonic Dances" (the Dutoit/Philly "Symphonic Dances" is somewhat disappointing); the continue of Stravinsky with the "Firebird" and "Petrushka", and more Mozart/Da Pont operas from Baden-Baden.

Offline waderice

Re: Nezet-Seguin/Philadelphia M8 may get issued by DG
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2018, 12:56:28 PM »
Barry, do you have a link where you found this?  Thanks!

As historic as this performance was, it certainly deserves to get much further attention, and ought to sell quite well.  No doubt, I'll get a copy if it comes out.

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2018, 12:24:00 AM »
This should work. If not, try his Facebook site. You'll have to wait a few seconds before it goes to the actual article.

https://yannicknezetseguin.com/en/news/detail/yannick-nezet-seguin-has-signed-an-exclusive-contract-with-the-yellow-label-deutsche-grammophon-2/

There's also a 6 cd Rotterdam Phil. box coming, which will include Mahler 10; Shostakovich 4, Bruckner 8, "Concerto for Orchestra" (Bartok), Haydn #49 and I forget what else. 

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 01:08:37 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2018, 12:45:43 AM »
Thanks for the link, Barry.  I read the article and found where it mentions M8.  I don't want to get your hopes up, much less mine, that the projected M8 you mention COULD very well likely be the one that Nézet-Séguin performed in Rotterdam, as opposed to Philadelphia.  Of course, we would prefer that it be Philly!  If it turns out not to be Philly but Rotterdam, my supposition is that contractual and royalty issues may be the intervening problem for it not to be Philly.

I've seen elsewhere (I think on Amazon) where the Rotterdam 6-CD box will eventually become available.

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 01:10:37 AM »
I don't think so, because look carefully at the punctuation in that sentence. I read it to mean Philadelphia (along with Stravinsky). Anyway, let's hope.

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 09:31:12 AM »
"Mahler’s Symphony No.8 and a continuation of the Stravinsky ballet cycle – plans include Petrushka and The Firebird – with The Philadelphia Orchestra".

I agree with Barry, M8 on DG will be with the Philadelphia Orchestra. On the other hand, rumour has it that the concerts in Rotterdam were recorded for cd and dvd as well...

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2018, 07:48:01 AM »
But that might explain why DG is rushing out this N-S/Rotterdam box set. Maybe it's to placate the very fine Rotterdam Orchestra if, indeed, the Philadelphia M8 is the one that'll eventually appear. Just going by the video that's on Youtube, the Rotterdam M8 isn't nearly as good. On the other hand, if they're issuing the M10 that got performed in the Concertgebouw, that'll sound excellent. That can be watched on Youtube as well.

Offline waderice

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2018, 01:05:10 PM »
The M8 Nezet-Seguin suspense deepens!

Wade

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2018, 03:26:22 PM »
Did N.-S./Rotterdam give a performance of the 8th in the Concergebouw as well?

Offline Thomas

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:01 PM »
No, only in Rotterdam.
Incidentally, the Netherlands Philharmonic and Marc Alrecht will perform M8 next season (February 2019) in the Concertgebouw with an interesting cast of singers, including Klaus Florian Vogt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk