Author Topic: BBC Radio 3 Proms  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Prospero

BBC Radio 3 Proms
« on: August 24, 2018, 07:46:17 PM »
As you probably know BBC Radio 3 archives programs for 30 days on computer or through the BBC app.

Some Mahler performances worth considering. A Dausgaard Mahler 5 about 10 days ago. And two nights ago a fine Budapest Festival O with Ivan Fischer program, including Bartok's Music for strings, percussion and celesta, and a very fine Mahler 4. The soprano, Anna Lucia Richter, was perhaps the most satisfying soloist I have heard in the 4th.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2018, 07:47:53 PM by Prospero »

Offline John Kim

Re: BBC Radio 3 Proms
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2018, 08:53:45 PM »
Daausgard made an outstanding recording of M10th (Cooke) with Seattle SO.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2018, 09:06:13 PM »
Agreed. My favorite of the Cooke III version recordings.

Offline Prospero

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2018, 12:05:43 AM »
There are live performances not on standard CD etc issues often on BBC Radio 3. There was also a Pappano/Santa Ceclia O Mahler 1 that was quite dynamic---August 10

Pappano, Sta. Cecilia O M1 August 10

Dausgaard BBC Scottish O M5 August 19.

Fisher M4 Budapest Fest. August 22 [also Bartok, Music for strings percussion and celesta ].
[Also Hungarian dances and Brahms 1 on August 23-well worth sampling. Amazing performances on the 22nd and 23rd]

Nelsons BSO M3 September 3

At least a source of new performances that can be accessed for 30 days and down loaded if you wish. This gives a cross section of Mahler performances being done now. I found Pappano, Dausgaard, and the live Fischer all worth hearing. Views will vary, of course.

I have heard muted responses to Nelsons' M3 earlier this year, but will sample the Proms version.

Again these are all available for streaming for 30 days after the initial broadcast. There will be Haitink M9 performances in Lucerne and Amsterdam later this month and early next that may be broadcast. And I am sure there are many other on line sources. Anyway, intriguing to hear some of the latest performances.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
Nelsons' Mahler 3 got rave reviews in the Boston Globe and they've heard some pretty great performances of that piece over the years. I'll bet it was quite good.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2018, 09:05:15 PM »
Prospero,

Where can I listen to the BBC Radio 3 archives? The link I visited from USA says it cannot be accessed outside UK.

John

Offline Prospero

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2018, 05:46:50 PM »
This computer link worked for me from Vermont earlier:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/rxfhzc/by/date/2018/07

But now I am getting a "not available in your area" message for many but not quite all links that I have tried..

I use the BBC radio app on my iPhone, and it works now as it has for years. So, while glad to have access in this way, I don't know the answer via computer or for others. I recorded some programs on my computer last year.

I can't get the computer feed of the Dausgaard M5 now, but I just accessed it on my iPhone.

Apologies for these inconsistencies.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 08:19:20 PM by Prospero »

Offline Prospero

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2018, 07:50:09 PM »
I find that the audio only feed seems to work on:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewfxp6/play/av6qfx/b0bfxvs9

They won't stream video, but for the Dausgaard M5 pull up Proms 50 in this case:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewfxp6

Then scroll to the fourth window below the main title and image to:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/ewfxp6/play/av6qfx/b0bfxvs9

Click on the red arrow play button.

And I get the complete audio feed of Proms 50: Mozart Clarinet Concerto, intermission panel on Bernstein and Mahler, and then the Dausgaard M5. As usual you can scroll the time line below.

So, my guess is that they won't stream video to the US, but they will stream the audio.

Good luck.

Tom in Vermont

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 07:52:41 PM by Prospero »

Offline waderice

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
I'm thinking that Tom must be located in extreme northern Vermont, close to the Canadian border, which probably accounts for the inconsistent streaming of video and audio files from British sources.  Probably it has to do with the sources checking Tom's computer location that is causing the inconsistent hookup.

Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk