Author Topic: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD  (Read 5803 times)

Offline John Kim

Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD
« on: November 10, 2018, 05:24:29 PM »
I can't upload the pic here (does anyone know how??).

In Japan the release date is 12/31/2018.

Offline brunumb

Re: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2018, 11:58:33 PM »
Do you have a link to the site where you saw this?

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2018, 01:28:11 AM »
timings are

I. 23:17/ II. 9:54/ III. 10:50/ IV. 5:28/ V. 34:08 = 84:38

Looks good.

Offline brunumb

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2018, 02:03:29 AM »

Offline John Kim

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:21 AM »
oohhhhhhh, nice tam-tam smash at the hohepunkt (climax).

Offline Russell

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 09:04:27 AM »
The hi-res download is now available (on sale for just $12.69 for a limited time).  You can even listen to the whole thing, albeit in 30-second increments--just keep clicking the 'play' button.

http://www.eclassical.com/conductors/vanska-osmo/mahler-symphony-no2-resurrection.html

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2019, 07:41:19 AM »
BEST DEEP BELLS and HIGH and LOW TAM-TAM EVER!!! I also like it that Vanska doesn't drag the unison chorus at the 32 minute mark (I hate it when they do that). Going back to the march (within the finale), I like how he brings the offstage trumpets in closer with each of their entrances, located between 14:00 and 15:00. As a result, you hear the trumpets leading into the full orchestra's re-entrance, with the low brass belting out the melody. In the other words, the hohepunkt of the entire march section. You can also hear the series of tam-tam smashes at the end of the march, but the tam-tam could still be a bit stronger there (but hey, at least you can hear it!). I'm definitely getting this.

I wish I liked Vanska's M6 more than I do. The two inner movements are excellent, but the two outer ones aren't nearly as good. I think he's more into the 'positive' Mahler than the 'downer' Mahler. What do you guys think?   .   .   .  I wished he had used THESE deep bells for the M6 finale, rather than the ubiquitous rolling rack of chimes (holy doorbells).

Offline Russell

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2019, 09:52:27 PM »
Here's a very positive writeup on the Audio Asylum website:

https://www.audioasylum.com/audio/music/classical/messages/1/12028.html

Offline John Kim

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 05:02:59 PM »
Russell,

Thanks.

My colleague who heard the recording confirmed the excellent of the performance but he lamented that the bells in the closing pages are inaudible.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2019, 08:48:17 AM »
Huh? John, when I listened to it on the e-classical link provided here, the deep bells were very present. I'm baffled.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2019, 12:10:46 AM »
Listened to a bit of this just now. On my system the bells sounded good, but maybe a bit unatural. The tams sounded very....crispy to my ears. I feel like the engineers made a point to bring this moment out. The organ was well balanced, and the choirs are really forward. I really liked Manny Laureano's trumpet playing, especially his sound on the Monette. 

Offline Konsgaard

• The High Arts Review
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2019, 05:46:17 PM »
Hi! I'm the one who thought the bells are not very audible. After listening to the recording many times I am not bothered anymore, it mostly has to do with the sound of the deep bells rather than the recorded sound. I mean you can hear them OK, it's just there are other recordings where they are way more prominent. Anyway, I didn't care much for Vanska's 5th or 6th but this Resurrection is really good. You can read my full review here:
https://thehigharts.com/mahler-symphony-2-resurrection-vanska-minnesota-orchestra/

But to cut a long story short there is much to admire. The highlights are:

-The precision of the string playing in the first movement.
-The Andante which is shaped with great care, listen to the portamentos and the left-right separation of the strings. Here the Andante really sings!
-The clarity of the finale.

Weaknesses? I'd have preferred a more European sound from both soloists and choir and slower tempos overall. But this is a very fine Mahler 2nd (and this comes from someone who doesn't always agree with Vanska's lean treatment of the orchestra in other recordings). Not a "spiritual" Resurrection but well played nonetheless.
Editor at the The High Arts Review

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2019, 05:00:14 AM »
Thanks. Whn listening on e-classical, the deep bells are very present to me. I guess playback can have so much to do with the results. In this recording, they are using true bells rather than the ubiquitous rolling rack of tubular chimes (holy doorbells). I assume that you're aware that the deep bells are not written to just play whatever, willy-nilly. Instead, Mahler writes very precise alternating salvos between the two gongs (tam-tam) and three bells. Some conductors do have the bells play ad lib, but that's not what's written. What I liked on this recording, is that I could hear ALL of the salvos from both gongs and all three bells. That rarely happens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk