Author Topic: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD  (Read 6062 times)

Offline Konsgaard

• The High Arts Review
Re: Vanska/MO/BIS Mahler 2nd SACD
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
Yes, I am aware of the bells in the score. Indeed some conductors take liberties and I don't mind them as long as the effect is pleasant to my ears. Jansons BR Mahler 2 uses some really high pitched bells and they are all over the place (also played so alarmingly you'd think the village is on fire).
Editor at the The High Arts Review

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 12:54:53 AM »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2019, 10:02:19 PM »
I received the hard disc and played it today. It's the best Mahler 2 in my collection - completely sweeps the field for me. I love the clear recording of real deep bells. They not only sound good at the end, they're terrific at the 11:15 spot in the finale (during the march). All of the offstage brass is both clear and resonant. While not huge sounding, the organ has a really nice tone quality. My only minor complaint is that there are no extra tracks for the finale. Still, I really like this one. The first one minute of the opening movement is best I've ever heard - it really sets the mood. The scherzo is really good as well. To me, this is by far the best release among the three, so far, in this Minnesota/BIS cycle. I'm hopeful they'll do a 7th symphony that's as detailed as this one.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2019, 06:53:13 PM »
Barry,

Agreed.

Vanska's is the best Resurrection I have heard in recent years.

Tempos are broad but as you noticed Vanska is closer to Tennstedt than Maazel in distributing tempos and managing them. I really like the 1st movt, particularly the first few minutes as you said. The ending is great with organ, tam tam, bells all clearly and authentically audible.

I wish BIS had inserted several tracks for V so that I can jump to the conclusion. The same problem was with Fischer. Sigh ...

John

Offline Freddy van Maurik

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2019, 12:58:21 PM »
Wow!
I got this a week or two ago, but after reading Barry's comments I took the time to listen to it yesterday. This is indeed a very, very good M2.
But to me, the bells even sound quite loud... I, too, like to be able to hear them, but I'm not sure if I find it entirely authentic. It almost seems like they were recorded separately, to my ears. But that's a minor issue with this great performance and recording.

And as far as a lack of separate tracks for the finale go: I don't mind; I usually listen to the entire piece. Anyway, I've always been taught not to "jump to conclusions", John...

Cheers,
Freddy

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk