Author Topic: Burning a 'dream' M6 - input wanted.  (Read 3018 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Burning a 'dream' M6 - input wanted.
« on: November 26, 2018, 10:23:36 PM »
I'm planning on burning a single disc, 'dream' Mahler 6. Because I want it on a single disc with time to spare, I'm planning on using Barbirolli for the first movement (slow tempo with no expo. repeat). For the two inner movements, I want to use Vanska/Minnesota (BIS), but in scherzo/andante order. I like the exquisite detail of that recording for those two (Vanska's 'alpine' passage in the slow movement is to die for!). For the finale, I'm thinking Boulez/Vienna Phil.

I know that Boulez/VPO doesn't have a strong hammer stroke (the second one is reinforced with cymbals and tam-tam), but I don't want a real loud hammer stroke. We all KNOW what a loud hammer stroke sounds like! In contrast to that, I'm also thinking of using Zinman/Baltimore S.O., where Zinman employed some kind of electronic explosion for the two hammer strokes. It's very cool and absurd. Anyway, I'm more concerned about the 'false victory parade' passage, just before the funereal dirge procession in the low brass. I don't want any 33 or 34 minute finales, so that eliminates a good number of them. I like it from 29 to 31 minutes.  I'm also thinking of Simone Young/Hamburg, who uses a few more bars of Mahler's first version after the third hammer stroke. That's a very cool effect as well.

I welcome your input. Remember, I want this to be well less than 80 minutes (single disc). I don't like fast first movements, or slow finales.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:15:23 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Burning a 'dream' M6 - input wanted.
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2018, 02:32:32 AM »
Change of plans. Barbirolli is over 21 minutes in the first movement, but MacKerras is just over 18. That'll get me under the 80 minute mark. I really like the last 10 minutes of S. Young's finale, so I'm going with her for movement IV (listened to it again on Spotify [which makes it quick for spot checking]). 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2018, 02:55:04 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 03:13:51 AM »
That MacKerras M6 on the BBC Music comes in around 18 because the first repeat is omitted. Sometimes I get really annoyed by the lack of the repeat though there is much I love about the performance (personal preference for A/S, the Scherzo is exciting, and I three hammer blows).
Russ Smiley

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2018, 08:33:07 AM »
Oh yes, I know that. Otherwise, the movement would be too fast for my taste. I understand your frustration. I'm burning onto a single, 80 minute CD-R, so I need to compromise somewhere.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 06:04:12 PM by barryguerrero »

Offline John Kim

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2018, 07:13:09 PM »
For me the best single disc M6th is Yoel Levi on Telarc, although he omits the 1st movt exposition repeat.

Offline Russ Smiley

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 03:02:34 AM »
Boulez probably would do it for me if I could here the hammer!
Russ Smiley

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 07:26:24 AM »
Boulez/VPO for me also, regardless of hammer (we KNOW what a louder wooden hammer sounds like).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk