Author Topic: I've left the Facebook Mahler Group  (Read 2281 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I've left the Facebook Mahler Group
« on: January 20, 2019, 11:51:50 AM »
The Mahler Group on Facebook has become too 'historical' - centric for my taste, so I dropped it. I just don't have patience for that. It's a complete waste of my time.

Offline waderice

Re: I've left the Facebook Mahler Group
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2019, 12:30:37 PM »
Never knew you were a member there, Barry.  At least I don't recall ever seeing you post anything, or commenting on anything there.

The historical and biographical detail there about Mahler is important to me, as it can potentially contribute to my knowledge about Mahler.  I don't let the content of the posts bother me all that much.  What bothers me is the attitude of some of the people who post there, who think they know everything about Mahler, and refuse to budge an inch whatsoever in what they say, that it's like God speaking.  And I think you know who some of those people were.  For that matter, I just ignore them, but I still want to see what's going on.  As a result, for the most part, I'm now keeping my mouth shut there, unless it's something I think won't arouse controversy, or comment in a hostile manner against whatever I might say.

Another thing that bothers me about the Facebook Mahler group is that when it comes to one person's opinion about a particular Mahler recording, there seems to be little respect by others for the first person's opinion.  At least here, there is seemingly a good bit more camaraderie in that area than at the Facebook group.

There are some other particular interest areas at Facebook I belong to that I feel the same way about the people who belong and comment, and have come up with the same personal policy, save one.  The people in that particular subject area at least have a good feeling of camaraderie that doesn't exist in many other areas of interest I have.

Wade
« Last Edit: January 20, 2019, 05:39:59 PM by waderice »

Offline barryguerrero

Re: I've left the Facebook Mahler Group
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 05:01:16 AM »
Thanks for input. I didn't stay long there. I don't mean to be a 'snob', but it just feels like pulling teeth or bashing one's head against a post.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk