Author Topic: I really like the H. Haenchen M8  (Read 2070 times)

Offline barryguerrero

I really like the H. Haenchen M8
« on: April 01, 2019, 07:01:45 AM »
I got the H. Haenchen M1/M8 set on ICA from Amazon. I like the 8th a lot. Interpretation wise, it's the polar opposite of Solti - more akin to Wyn Morris or Horenstein. it's expansive, but there's close scrutiny of phrasing and lots of adherence to the dynamics on page. Haenchen never permits Mahler 8 to become a hysteria festival for loud singers and brass. Balances seem to be almost always near ideal. The soloists seem a bit farther back than usual (perhaps placed behind the orchestra?). They're not great, but they're passable. One thing I really like, is that the proportion of children choristers to adult choristers seems much higher than usual. I really, really like that. Remember, Mahler had well over 300 children at the Munich premiere. Another thing I like: Haenchen has just the tam-tam at the end the symphony, no cymbals. That way the tam-tam doesn't get covered over by the cymbals, as is so often the case on recordings.  The sound quality on the discs is nothing to write home about, in terms of being 'demostration quality'. But it's still more than adequate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk