General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

Ivan Fischer's new release is Mahler Seventh.

<< < (2/3) > >>

ChrisH:
Listened to this recording two times over the weekend and found it very disappointing. Initially I thought Fischer would do very good, to great work with this symphony. Instead he recorded a very bland, uninteresting Mahler 7. The first movement lacks any kind of intensity, tension or drive. It also comes across as very controlled. Nachtmusik I is well played, but lacks character and is much too quick for my tastes. The scherzo and 2nd nachtmusik are the best parts of the recording. Fischer seems to hit his stride here. His quicker tempos work much better. It also seems like he's letting his orchestra play, instead of trying to control them; this is a big problem with the first movement. The finale is pretty good, and he gives us the 'light of day' but again, I never felt like he really unleashed the orchestra and let them go for it.

Overall, this is more 'positive' Mahler. I like Mahler like this, but this recording lacks passion, drive and tension. It reminds me of Zinman, without the great musicality and architecture.

barryguerrero:
Yes, I've been rather disappointed with Ivan Fischer's more recent releases. I thought M3 was pretty good, although I like his brother's even more. But Ivan's M5 and M9 fit precisely what you're describing. I'll still listen to it on Spotify. For the time being, I'll stick to his brother's M7.

John Kim:
Ivan Fischer's M3rd is excellent until 4th movt. and I am very disappointed with his V where he could have made the dissonant interlude stronger and darker. The Adagio is too short for my taste.

Matthew:
This is "Recording of the Month" in the April edition of Gramophone and it gets quite a rave review from Edward Seckerson. This strikes me as a bit odd, as Seckerson is a big Bernstein fan and in some ways this new Fischer recording is about as "un-Bernstein" as you can get.

I agree with Vehemence that Fischer's quicker tempos work better, such as in the Finale. I find the first movement pretty bland and lacking in "grit", especially at the opening (the tempo relationships feel completely wrong to me...). The recording quality is fine but somehow too soft-edged, as with the other Fischer releases I've heard. I was recently listening to Bernstein's earlier NYPO recording again, and I think it has far more character than this. Just my two-penny worth...

barryguerrero:
Matthew, I agree that Bernstein's first N.Y. Phil. one is still quite good. I'm keeping the Adam Fischer M7, so I'm not so interested in this Ivan one. So far, I've really been enjoying the Adam Fischer series and am looking forward to the 8th, which will be coming out in fall.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version