Author Topic: Bernstein single layer SACD box on Sony Japan  (Read 2307 times)

Offline Volund

Bernstein single layer SACD box on Sony Japan
« on: January 16, 2019, 10:01:38 AM »
I own most of the SACD hybrid issues from 2007.   They are generally excellent, but as far as I am concerned, there is some room for improvement.  What bothers me about these 2007 hybrid issues is that following the conclusions of several movements, the recording ambiance is too abruptly cut-off to digital black.  These abrupt fade-outs are especially pronounced following the codas of the first movement and finale of the Third Symphony, and again after the finale of Seventh Symphony.   So, I am wondering if the new boxed-set of single layer SACDs from Sony Japan corrects what I believe to be the blemishes found on the 2007 hybrid discs, or else may in some other way offer an audible improvement over the older SACDs.  I listen only in two-channel stereo, so the absence of a multi-channel layer on the new discs is not a problem for me.

Is anyone in a position to offer a report?

Offline waderice

Re: Bernstein single layer SACD box on Sony Japan
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 12:34:48 PM »
Volund,

Do you know if this set is available from Tower Records Japan, Amazon, or where?  And what is the price in Japanese yen, or U.S. Dollars?

Thanks, Wade

Offline Volund

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 01:39:40 PM »
Wade,

I'm certain that Tower Japan has it, although I usually order from cdjapan.co.jp or hmv.co,jp.  The price in USD will be about $207 to $225.
Of course, there will be shipping charges, in addition.  If that is a worry, then CDJapan has low cost shipping available.

Volund

Offline waderice

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2019, 03:02:29 AM »
Volund,

That's a pretty steep price, as I expected.  If you happen to get this set, let us know if there's any improvement in the areas you mentioned.

Thanks, Wade

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk