Author Topic: Sabian tamtam  (Read 2968 times)

Offline Roland Flessner

Sabian tamtam
« on: May 08, 2019, 02:51:29 AM »
Last night I attended a performance by a small ensemble led by Alisa Weilerstein. They played in the Harris Theater in Millenium Park, the program including the Beethoven "Chost" trio, the Schoenberg-sanctioned piano trio arrangement of Verklaerte Nacht, a piece for solo marimba, and perhaps most audaciously, an arrangement (also composer-approved) of the Shostakovich 15th Symphony for piano trio and three percussionists.

Though I think both the Schoenberg and Shostakovich arrangements are questionable, I was most favorably impressed by the sound of a Sabian tamtam. Though not an especially large instrument--I think it was the 34-inch version--it sounded with deep bass and complex overtones when struck loudly, and beautifully mysterious and atmospheric on the soft strokes. I spoke to the player, Doug Perkins, after the performance; he said he himself liked the sound very much. (You can read about Mr. Perkins at http://www.dougperkins.com/.)

Those of us who harbor a perhaps keen, not to say obsessive, interest in these instruments can sample many brands and sizes here:

https://memphisdrumshop.com/gongs

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Sabian tamtam
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 07:31:06 AM »
Interesting. I see that Sabian makes three different series of gongs: Symphonic, Zodiac and Chinese. I'm guessing that the "Chinese" sounds more like a Wuhan, since it looks like it might even be a stenciled Wuhan. The gong that you observed, do you know which series it was?

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 03:01:42 PM »
It was the Chinese. That seems to be the only series showing 34 and 40 inch models, at least at Memphis Drum Shop.

A person really wouldn't mind having one of those in his living room.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 02:23:39 PM »
I did own a 40" (100 cm) Wuhan with a portable stand (and three mallets). I needed cash and sold it to a very good timpanist who studied with Vic Firth. I miss it, but it did take up space. I also couldn't stop playing it, so it took up time and made noise as well.

Offline Roland Flessner

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 10:20:17 PM »
I wouldn't really have room for one. It's a tempting idea, though, stumbling home from a long day at work, then winding down with either some gentle taps or a full-on Edvard-Munch-level scream, depending on the degree of psychosis expressed by my colleagues that day. Lately we would more frequently be toward the louder end of  the spectrum.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk