Author Topic: Bernstein Cleveland M2 1970  (Read 2108 times)

Offline Prospero

Bernstein Cleveland M2 1970
« on: June 11, 2019, 05:22:33 PM »
Some here might be interested in the Yves St. Laurent issue of the Bernstein Cleveland M2 1970. Available from Norbeck, Peters & Ford http://www.norpete.com

Henry Fogel attended the performance and relates that it was considered legendary by the orchestra. It is later Bernstein, fairly broad but Bernstein. Fogel also considers it his desert island version. 1970 radio stereo fairly well mastered.

From Fogel's review:
This is one of those rare performances where you sense that every single person on the stage, from the conductor and vocal soloists to the last-stand second violinist, is deeply inspired. There is a lovely and sensitive use of portamento in the strings throughout, particularly in the second movement. The hushed choral entrance in the finale is singularly beautiful. The quiet string playing and the explosive brass are all convincing, as is everything in between those extremes. Bernstein and the musicians are keenly aware of the dynamic gradations between mezzo-piano and mezzo-forte, so this is not a performance solely about extremes. The final chords are positively apocalyptic, the ultimate release of the tension built up over the entire symphony. . . .

There are certainly other Mahler Second Symphony recordings with more splendid digitally recorded sound, but if I were on that mythical desert island where I could take only one recording with me, and it would be the Mahler Second I had to listen to for the rest of my life, I would not hesitate to choose this one. I remember that night in 1970 as if it was yesterday, and I also remember thinking at the time 'This is why we go to concerts, hoping to have a once-in-a-lifetime experience like this'. That it is now available to anyone who wishes to have it is a gift from St. Laurent Studio to all of us. To overlook this release is to deprive yourself of musical greatness."

- [5 Stars: Unforgettable Mahler from Bernstein and the Clevelanders]

There have evidently been other copies but Fogel finds this the best sounding.

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Bernstein Cleveland M2 1970
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 07:43:07 PM »
I own a 'pirate' of this that I received privately. Indeed, it's a fantastic performance. That said, when one considers the differences in sound quality, I'm not sure I'd rate it over my recent Vanska/Minnesota one, which far outstripped my expectations. That one cost me half of what this transfer costs. However, don't misunderstand me - no way would I say, "don't get this". For any Bernstein 'completest', it's a necessity.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk