Author Topic: Jaap van Zweden's Mahler Seventh (RCO)  (Read 3043 times)

Offline shawn

Jaap van Zweden's Mahler Seventh (RCO)
« on: July 06, 2019, 05:53:18 PM »
This is a March 2019 performance in Amsterdam. I really like it. And YES, the brass are stupendous  8)

The website link: https://www.nporadio4.nl/gids-gemist/2019-03-10

It's a Dutch site, scroll down that page to 14:00 - 16:30, Het Zondagmiddagconcert  :D

The actual performance starts at appr. 16 minutes. The preceding minutes are the news and some notes about the history of Mahler 7 (all in Dutch).

The sound quality is great. The coda of the Rondo-Finale has all the carefee musicality that Adam Fischer brings to the piece. Even the final build-up resembles Fischer. This section starts at appr. 1 hour and 31 minutes.

I don't know what Gatti would have made of this piece (his scheduled performance never materialized), but Van Zweden offers arguably the finest RCO Seventh in recent times! (In my opinion  :D)

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Jaap van Zweden's Mahler Seventh (RCO)
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »
That's great news. I'll check it out when I get a bit of free time. Thank you.

Offline shawn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 10:04:33 PM »
I have listened to it for three times now. I still think it's a great performance. But with slight reservations. Above all, I'll grant Van Zweden credit for delivering a distinct Seventh without even knowing the work all that well (as he stated himself).

There is definitely some thought behind this interpretation. The more seasoned Jansons gave us a proficient, central reading... in other words: boring as heck. How Jansons managed to deliver such a non-apotheosis at the very end of the Rondo-Finale and get away with it without being locked at the Gevangenpoort (some sort of medieval Dutch prison  :P), is probably one of the greatest mysteries of our time (just kidding  :P But you get my point)

To be fair, in many ways Van Zweden's is also a very central performance. But there is more spontaneity, more contrast. This is a Seventh that will not resonate as a totally unforgettable performance. But it somehow got me to listen to the whole performance. Indeed, three times  8)

This is a reading that will stand (imho), as very musical. Its Langsam is not as grotesque as we might like. The middle movements are patiently brought to life. The Rondo is boisterous (love those tympani), and actually reminds me of DeWaart (RCA) in some ways. He, too, had a Rondo at moderate speed, known more for its conviction and energy than sudden changes of speed, dynamics or the kind of madness that some others evoke. It's MILES away from Kondrashin (Tahra), also from Amsterdam, with his rollercoaster finale, but I actually prefer a more moderate speed.

I stated the brass were stupendous. They are. Especially the horns and trumpets. The trombones are more distinct than usual from this source, but still rather shy.

What quite clinches me to like Van Zweden's Seventh, is his handling of the coda of the Rondo. It is very carefree, but still carries a lot of conviction with a rousing last build-up. Adam Fischer took a second or two longer to realize his build-up, but the effect is much the same. And, perhaps, Van Zweden has the better orchestra (though I adore Fischer's orchestra).

:)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 12:09:09 AM by shawn »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 04:19:06 PM »
Any knowledge if RCO Live will issue it? They recently issued the DOA (dead on arrival) Jansons M7, so I greatly doubt it.

Offline shawn

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:41:42 PM »
Sadly, don't count on it, Barry  :-\ RCO is not in the habit of releasing recordings made by guest conductors. And, as you said, they've already released M7 under Jansons, so there is no urgency to issue Van Zweden's.

What always pissed me off, is that RCO felt compelled to complete Jansons nondescript Amsterdam Mahler cycle. This means a Ninth will someday be forthcoming. Lord have mercy on our souls...

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 05:06:50 PM »
Welllll, a Jansons/RCO M9 might actually be better than his BRSO M9, which I felt was nowhere as good as the Haitink/BRSO M9. The funny thing about that, is that most of Jansons' BRSO Mahler recordings are pretty good. I have a 'pirate' of his Munich M3 and it's terrific. Of course, that happened quite a while ago.

As I've said, for some reason, he's sounded like an entirely different conductor in Munich.

Offline shawn

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 11:06:04 PM »
Maybe I'm too harsh on Jansons  :( His RCO Fifth was quite good (despite the premature slowing down at the very end) and his Sixth wasn't a total loss (A-S order, unfortunately). But I don't feel a special kind of chemistry between him and Amsterdam. Oddly enough, and you are right, Munich proves to be a far more sympathetic partnership. I've been thinking about that... perhaps expectations in Munich aren't that high as in Amsterdam, which allows Jansons to conduct with less weight on his back. Who knows?

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2019, 05:46:35 AM »
I really don't feel you're being too harsh, because I don't think you're far off the mark at all.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk