Author Topic: Presto Classical listing for a Vanska/Minnesota M4 (BIS)  (Read 3127 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Presto Classical listing for a Vanska/Minnesota M4 (BIS)
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2019, 07:57:43 AM »
The timings just came out, along with 1-minute samples.

17:09
9:36
23:02
9:37

The sound quality is amazing, as usual. The scherzo seems particularly well-executed. I really like Sampson’s voice from what I could hear.

I feel like this team is going to have a very good Mahler Third some day. Probably a good Seventh too if Vänskä doesn’t do something weird with the finale.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2019, 05:48:13 PM »
Vanska and MS will also record a complete M10th.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 03:15:55 AM »
I pre-ordered this when I pre-ordered the A. Fischer M8. Yes, the excerpts sound really good, and I'm intrigued by the timings. I love the cover.                                                                                                                     

I love the middle movements of Vaenska's M6. I just wish I liked his outer two as much and I would have preferred the inner movements in scherzo/adagio order.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:35:37 AM by barryguerrero »

Offline Russell

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2019, 09:51:26 AM »
Hi-res (96/24) download available now via eClassical for only $8.91 USD for a limited time (about a week):

https://www.eclassical.com/conductors/vanska-osmo/mahler-symphony-no4.html

As always, you can listen to samples (or the whole thing!) in 30-second increments--just keep clicking the play button.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2019, 07:46:24 AM »
OMG, this is a fabulous Mahler 4!!!  I listened to most of it on e-classical. I just jumped to the start of the fast section in the third movement and went from there (the heart of the entire symphony). The development of the first movement is excellent. The entire scherzo and the heavenly trio sections are excellent. The climaxes in the slow movement are excellent. My only very, very slight reservation is with Carolyn Sampson. But still, she's plenty good enough.

This M4 makes me hopeful that we'll get a sensational M7 from Vaenska/M.S.O./BIS.

Offline ChrisH

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2019, 02:12:53 PM »

This M4 makes me hopeful that we'll get a sensational M7 from Vaenska/M.S.O./BIS.

Vanska did an M7 I heard through the radio about 5 years ago. Maybe his ideas have changed but, I wasn't overly impressed with what I heard at the time. It was all too cool, and slack. Again, his ideas could have changed and this could be a totally different interpretation but, I'm not getting my hopes up with this one. Especially after the I. Fischer M7.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2019, 06:34:42 PM »
This IS a splendid Fourth! Not overly characterized, and it all felt natural. Like Barry I have slight reservations with Sampson’s performance but she captures the sound and spirit well. Hearing this makes me hopeful for their M9. That Ruhevoll was very well-structured by Vänskä and such delicacy from the strings at the end. I’m also thinking they will produce good outer movements to M3.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk