Author Topic: Mahler 9 with Yoel Levi/KBS Symphony on DG ?!?  (Read 3328 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Mahler 9 with Yoel Levi/KBS Symphony on DG ?!?
« on: November 14, 2019, 05:48:02 PM »
OK; so I walk into Streetlight Records in San Jose yesterday and there - sitting among the rows and row of used CD's - is a brand new Mahler 9 on DG for $10 with Yoel Levi and the KBS Symphony. I said to myself, "what the   .    .   .   I had to look at very tiny print to figure out that it was recorded in Korea (South, I presume). Did any of you know about this?    .    .    .   Is it going to be an entire cycle?   .    .    .   John Kim?   .    .    . 

Timings were something like this:  I - 30:40;  I - 17:30:  III - 14:11;  IV - 30:30.  Here's a photo of the cover.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KBS-SYMPHONY-ORCHESTRA-YOEL-LEVI-MAHLER-SYMPHONY-NO-9-2CD-KOREA-EDITION-SEALED-/273641876880

Offline John Kim

Re: Mahler 9 with Yoel Levi/KBS Symphony on DG ?!?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2019, 04:16:07 AM »
I have the CD. It is IMO an excellent M9th. Levi focuses on the long lines, keeping the symphony in shape and suspense and logical (and musical) development. The playing is pretty good too, if not on the level of VPO or RCO.

John

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2019, 05:17:23 AM »
It's interesting that Levi's timings are fairly similar to those of James Levine and Wyn Morris (if memory serves). I might check it out. It's so weird that a copy of it would appear at Streetlight Records, which has entirely used product in their classical section.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:36:40 AM »
Yes, Levi is very slow but unlike Levine's his take is more lyrical than intense. I received an advanced copy directly from the KBS SO.

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 12:35:03 AM »
Interesting. Do you know if they're planning a full cycle, or is this just a one-off?

I'll pick it up since it's only $10 there.

Offline John Kim

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2019, 05:49:16 PM »
There will be no complete Mahler cycle from this team as Levi is leaving the orchestra soon.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2019, 08:26:45 PM »
There are also live performances of M1 and M2 with Levi and the KBS Symphony on YouTube. The M2 is particularly fine.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk