Author Topic: I ordered the “new-ish” Telarc Mahler box set  (Read 2597 times)

Offline erikwilson7

I ordered the “new-ish” Telarc Mahler box set
« on: November 20, 2019, 07:54:28 PM »
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8549113--the-symphonies-of-gustav-mahler

So this is something I just discovered. It came out earlier this year according to Presto Classical. It contains Levi/ASO for M1–2 and 4–7, López-Cobos/Cincinnati for M3 & 9, and Shaw’s M8. It also has Levi’s M10 Adagio and Lieder eines fahrenden Gesellen. I’ve never heard any of these recordings before save the Fifth on YouTube, so I’m looking forward to it. I’ve read mostly great things about the Levi/ASO recordings here on GMB.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 04:58:51 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

Re: I ordered the “new-ish” Telarc Mahler box set
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 09:31:20 AM »
It should be a decent set. I've always felt that Robert Shaw's M8 was a bit underrated. I think Levi's M2 was particularly good. Frederica von Stade is the soprano in M4 (and it's a good one). Levi's M6 is rather fast in the first movement and doesn't have an exposition repeat. However, the finale is particularly good. I very much liked the first four movements of his M7, but the finale was simply too slow for my thoughts on the work. Still, you could do a whole lot worse.

Offline erikwilson7

Re: I ordered the “new-ish” Telarc Mahler box set
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:19:16 PM »
Thanks for the input. I'm particularly looking forward to the sound quality and ASO playing after reading Dave Hurwitz's reviews of the recordings.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 05:49:05 PM by erikwilson7 »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk