Author Topic: Oehms coming out with an M6 from Essen (location of the world premiere)  (Read 2852 times)

Offline barryguerrero

This looks interesting: an M6 recording from Essen, the city in which Mahler 6 was premiered, as well as the home of the Krupp armaments factory (the largest industrial complex in the world at that time). Note that the timings are nearly identical to those on the Vaenska/Minnesota M6 (BIS), except that this is in scherzo/andante order. Also, the finale gets its own disc. I'm very curious about this release.

https://www.amazon.de/Sinfonie-6-Tragische-Tomas-Netopil/dp/B081WR7TJC/ref=pd_sbs_15_4/258-1569643-2752853?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B081WR7TJC&pd_rd_r=c9da5fec-6ac5-49bf-a36a-b3de7578c2f4&pd_rd_w=8eYhA&pd_rd_wg=8fMyF&pf_rd_p=184816e4-edb5-4587-8faf-776e0027d8d1&pf_rd_r=BPMM21HQ0RF498Q4FBWT&psc=1&refRID=BPMM21HQ0RF498Q4FBWT

Offline erikwilson7

Re: Oehms coming out with an M6 from Essen (location of the world premiere)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2019, 06:36:00 PM »
This team has a M9 that came out last year (or this year?) that I haven’t listened to yet. I like the timings of both the M9 and this new M6, and with these timings I’d prefer scherzo/andante order.

If the album artwork of this new M6 reveals anything it’s that this is likely a budding cycle from this team. They both have the same concept.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 05:09:01 AM »
I just listened to the M9 recording by these folks. It’s VERY good. A softer-edged approach makes it not my reference/choice recording, but the playing is spot-on and gorgeous. It actually reminds me of what Jakub Hrůša is doing in Bamberg with the Brahms and Dvořák symphonies (Tudor), if anyone is following that developing series. I’m looking forward to what Netopil and Essen do with the inner movements in this M6.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2019, 05:39:05 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 07:32:06 PM »
New samples of the M6 on Presto. I think this sounds very good. I like how the scherzo follows the first movement in the same exact tempo.

https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8718357--mahler-symphony-no-6

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 08:55:55 PM »
I'm sure this is fine. What I think is really needed, is a recording of the complete first version of M6. Simone Young gives us more bars of the first version, surrounding and after the third hammer stroke (all the way up to the start of the funereal dirge for low brass near the end). It think it would lend a more 'historical' perspective, and would help to undo some of the nonsense about how the symphony is chiefly about Mahler's own personal problems and insecurities.

Offline erikwilson7

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 11:48:43 PM »
I got around to giving this recording a listen. It's finely played and recorded, if a bit soft. It's like a cross between the Fischer/Budapest and the Chailly/Concertgebouworkest recordings. Honestly, it isn't anything particularly groundbreaking, but a nice addition to what could end up being a well-rounded cycle if it turns into that.

I really like the deep bells in the finale, and the cowbells sound excellent. I wish they came through more during the climax of the Andante moderato though; they're hardly audible during that chromatic horn ascent, but it's better than most other recordings. The harps come through very well, and it's not gimmicky; it was a treat to hear them during the first movement's "Alma theme." The timpani and celesta could be more prominent, but it doesn't detract. Effective, dull thuds of the Hammerschläge too; the second one is coupled with tam-tam and crash cymbals, which I like. I also like what Netopil does with the score overall, but the final crushing A Minor chord is a bit underwhelming. Maybe he wasn't going for a white-knuckled Bernstein approach, always keeping you on the edge of your seat. Netopil did his M9 like this too; it was more beautiful than "tragic." Oehms did a great job; certainly an improvement over the Stenz cycle in terms of the mix. Plenty of bass now. This was a live performance and a few faint coughs can be heard in the finale, but nothing intrusive. I'll always prefer a well-edited live performance to a surgical studio recording session.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 02:29:46 AM by erikwilson7 »

Offline barryguerrero

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2020, 06:33:21 AM »
I see that this is at Spotify and I will give it a listen. From what you describe - and given its timings too - I might like this one. Thanks. BTW, check out the Paavo Jarvi/NHK Tokyo M6 if you ever get a chance. I'm very happy with that one.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2020, 06:48:38 AM by barryguerrero »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk