General Category > Gustav Mahler and Related Discussions

OT: anyone know what's coming next from Andris Nelsons (Bruckner and/or Shosty)?

<< < (6/6)

Roland Flessner:
The building is now well maintained and, we hope, will take on a new purpose soon. You can find a lot of info at http://medinahtemple.com/

Orchestral studio recordings now being rare in the US, future CSO releases will probably be live performances from Orchestra Hall, or possibly somewhere on tour. I don't think they ever performed live at Medinah, but I heard a top-level community orchestra there. Performance and acoustics left little to be desired.

I was skeptical about Muti when he was hired, but the few performances I've heard him lead have been excellent. For example, I wouldn't have imagined that he would connect with Haydn, but a performance of the "Clock" symphony (101), was outstanding. He also conducted a terrific "Feste Romane." He's been criticized for overly stodgy programming, but the CSO has long ghettoized contemporary music with the MusicNOW series across the street at the Harris Theater in Millennium Park. It's a smaller venue, good for ensembles up to medium size, but acoustics are excellent.

barryguerrero:
Yes, it's not surprising that Muti did "Roman Festivals" and the Haydn "Clock" symphony really well. And don't get me wrong; I think his actual conducting abilities are very good. It's just that his 'people skills' seem to be declining rather rapidly, from everything I'm hearing.

I'm glad to read that Medinah Temple won't be falling into disrepair. I'll read the article.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version