Author Topic: Trifecta: N.-S./Philly, Feltz/Dortmund & Gergiev/Munich Phil. M8 = 01/17 release  (Read 3156 times)

Offline barryguerrero

Three Mahler 8 recordings come out on 17 January - how weird is that! Both the Feltz/Dortmund and Gergiev/Munich Phil. 8 recordings are twice the price of the Nezet-Suguin/Philadelphia one.

https://www.amazon.com/Mahler-Symphony-No-8-Live/dp/B082BCSVDX/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=mahler+no.+8+gergiev&qid=1578814307&s=music&sr=1-1-catcorr

Online erikwilson7

After listening to a little bit of each it seems like we are getting three different TYPES of M8s on 1/17. We have the cosmic perspective from Y. N-S, the steadfast no-nonsense Gergiev, and Feltz might sit somewhere in the middle, like the Antoni Wit recording. I think all of these 1/17 releases seem good in their own right.

What an amazing time to be a Mahler fan. We are so spoiled!

Offline barryguerrero

Yep, this is the golden era for Mahler - not some mythical time in the far past.

Offline pseudolongino

gergiev is awfully fast in the adagio, but no applause at the end
i'll burn a n-s gergiev crasis that stays on one cd
not impressed by feltz

Offline Last_Evolution

not impressed by feltz

Maybe you will be more impressed by this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAB6d_npTms
I really like the girls in pink.

Online erikwilson7

The Feltz recording is extremely “middle-of-the-road,” and “safe.”

I suppose I like that for some reason but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it to everyone, despite my previous enthusiasm for it.

Offline barryguerrero

On the contrary, I feel the Feltz one is very much an 'interpretation'. I do like it. I had some issues with various details, but I think it's strong and interesting.

Online erikwilson7

If you do like the “interpretive” aspect of the Feltz M8 I think the rest of his cycle may interest you (I’ve probably said this plenty of times). I love his M2 from last year. One of my top choices, if only the tam-tams were more audible at the very end. At least he makes up for it with great bells and a balanced organ. Also a very well done scherzo.

As a whole I really appreciate the nearly-complete Feltz cycle. They’re underrated for how uniquely interpretive they are.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk