Author Topic: Whatever happened to Litton/DSO/Delos Mahler cycle?  (Read 2254 times)

Offline John Kim

Whatever happened to Litton/DSO/Delos Mahler cycle?
« on: May 01, 2020, 07:31:38 PM »
I've been listening to unofficial copy of Andrew Litton's Dallas Symphony recording of Mahler Sixth. It's a pretty excellent performance, very Romantic and well played, recorded. It's as good as his M2nd and M3rd that were available on Delos label years ago. I heard he recorded M8th (and also M9th?) there but don't know if they have ever been released on CDs commercially. Have they?

Offline barryguerrero

Re: Whatever happened to Litton/DSO/Delos Mahler cycle?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 09:19:18 PM »
Nope, they sure haven't. I bugged Delos over and over about the 8th. I saw two performances of it in Dallas. That, and the 1991 MTT/S.F.S. performances were best I've seen, live. The later MTT ones weren't nearly as good. As a novelty, seeing Dudamel/L.A. Phil. do in the Shrine Auditorium with a thousand people was pretty fun also.

Offline ChrisH

Re: Whatever happened to Litton/DSO/Delos Mahler cycle?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 03:30:15 PM »
I've been listening to unofficial copy of Andrew Litton's Dallas Symphony recording of Mahler Sixth. It's a pretty excellent performance, very Romantic and well played, recorded. It's as good as his M2nd and M3rd that were available on Delos label years ago. I heard he recorded M8th (and also M9th?) there but don't know if they have ever been released on CDs commercially. Have they?

If you head to Littons' website he recorded what you've listed, plus the 4th, 5th and 10th (Carpenter) with Dallas. He also has a 'Titan' with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra as well as multiple recordings of the 4th with various orchestras. Personally, I've enjoyed some the of the Stravinksy he has recorded with the Bergen Philharmonic.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk